Looking For Family Info Please

I’m looking for any information /photos on my grandparents Nellie (nee Brown) and Stuart Stagg. I believe they used to sing and play in clubs around Sheffield. Nellie’s stage name was Joyce Shelton. (We think) They divorced and I believe Nellie/Joyce married a Clifford Bate. My mum and her brothers were put into care at an early age so don’t have many memories but would love to hear from anybody that does. It’s a long shot as I’m  talking about the 40’s /50’s 🫤. My uncle said he’d seen a photograph in a working man’s club many many years ago of them. I wonder if it’s still aroundsomewhere.  Many thanks Mandy 

On 05/02/2024 at 15:35, Mandy Fawcett said:

I’m looking for any information /photos on my grandparents Nellie (nee Brown) and Stuart Stagg. I believe they used to sing and play in clubs around Sheffield. Nellie’s stage name was Joyce Shelton. (We think) They divorced and I believe Nellie/Joyce married a Clifford Bate. My mum and her brothers were put into care at an early age so don’t have many memories but would love to hear from anybody that does. It’s a long shot as I’m  talking about the 40’s /50’s 🫤. My uncle said he’d seen a photograph in a working man’s club many many years ago of them. I wonder if it’s still aroundsomewhere.  Many thanks Mandy 

In 1954 Nellie Stagg married Clifford Bate. If there’s any family of Clifford on this forum, I’d love to hear from you. 
Many thanks Mandy

On 05/02/2024 at 15:35, Mandy Fawcett said:

I've had a look at the genealogy and Stuart Stagg seems to have come from quite a big family, so there's a chance of progressing that side, but Clifford Bate and Nellie are proving hard to find apart from their marriage. I would suggest you order a marriage certificate for them, that might well open a few doors. 

Hi Mandy. Don't know if this info will help in any way!! Please note! that birth dates/ages are not always accurate.

1939 register - STUART STAGG born 1919 - at 53 Club Garden Road, Sheffield

1940 married - NELLIE BROWN - Sheffield

1942 son - Malcolm S  - Sheffield

1944 daut - Patricia A -        "

1946 son - Trevor R -              "

DIV

1954 marriage - STUART STAGG to Joyce Rollins   "

1954         "           - NELLIE STAGG to Clifford Bate      "

DEATHS

1962 Clifford A - age 47 - death London

1968 Clifford EG - age 55 - death Dudley

1978 Clifford Ernest - born 1900 - death Dudley

1992 Clifford George - born 1926  - death Wolverhampton              up to this year

DEATH

1988 NELLIE BATE - born 1925 - death Dudley = only location match!

There are NO Nellie or Clifford  Bate listed in Sheffield that I could find

If I find anything else I will post you                                                                                                                                                                              Regards Heartshome

Thank you both for taking the time to look.

I joined Ancestry to look up information a while ago and my tree is ‘falling over’ Lots on the Stagg side but nothing on the Nellie side. 
I have Nellie and Clifford’s marriage certificate. Married 31st August 1954, Clifford was 28, Nellie 32.

I found a Nellie Bates who passed on 26th April 1963, wife of Clifford Bates. Cause of death, Cor Pulmonale due to Asthma. We do know she had very bad Asthma. The informant was an S Wragg and when I wrote to her, she said she was named in accordance with her duties on behalf  of the local authority. This was usually the case when no next of kin was available to register the death. 
I refuse to believe Nellie lived 43 years but nothing can be found on her. It’s a mystery!

Thank you again 

Mandy 

The marriage certificate says Bate, the death certificate Bates so I suppose there’s a chance I’m going down the wrong route. Nellie did pass in her 40’s in the 1960’s though.