West One Panorama - Any Opinions?

Hi All,

I am thinking to buy a flat in West One Panorama estate (and move to Sheffield from Manchester). Looking for some information about that on google, I found quite a lot of Student Flats in West One. I am a bit concerned about potential late night parties etc. Has anyone got any experience with that estate at all?

I can see there is few buildings named differently, West One Panorama, West One something etc. Maybe they are divided between student accomodation in one building and flats in the other? If they are mixed up, then I think I would pass.

Thank you

Regards

There are differently named 'West One' buildings (Panorama, Plaza, Central, Aspect, etc), but it is largely the same complex.

The north end of the complex tends to have the noisier aspect with the bars and restaurants in the main square there (and proximity to West Street/Division Street, etc).

Panorama, from memory, is the more southern end, and so that bit further away, so a bit better.

The flats tend to be fairly thinly built and often quite small, so I recommend taking a good look around first (and make the area one weekend evening to a night out to check it out, too). Noise can carry between the apartments, and they can indeed be largely student accommodation (or ‘young professionals’). Honestly, a lot of the city centre flats (apartments) are much-of-a-muchness, and once you’ve been in one you’ve been in them all! If you want some energy and atmosphere at weekends, it is a good location, but I’d say you might want to avoid there if you want constant quiet.

Be aware also that you may overlook Devonshire Green which can have events on at various times of the year, which can be noisy. Tramlines isn’t there in terms of the main stage anymore, but it does have a fringe stage on - the cool thing is, depending on where you are in the building, you can overlook the parties there and experience them from the comfort of your own room!

One thing to be aware of is the Salvation Army main building is right at the bottom of the road, so you’re closer to that than the 'noisy’ end of the complex, and whilst the Salvation Army does great work, it can attract somewhat of a more undesirable crowd (for want of a better word), and you’ll be on the main route between there and some parts of the city centre for some of those folk. That said, I’ve often walked down there and been to the likes of Washington (great pub with live music) with no issues whatsoever.

West One is in a great location for the city centre overall though! Right between the University campus and the main centre.  Good luck with it.

• Like 1

That is an amazing answer @deejayone - Thank you for that!

I obviously realise that it's the city center so I am expecting some noise, I just don't want to end up in a place, where there are parties 7 days a week. It's exactly in front of Devonshire Green, 3rd floor, so I  would see and hear those events clearly but I assume something like that doesn't happen every week, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe someone who lives there can say something about the building quality and noice insulation  within the building? I live currently in a building that was made out of cardboard, because I can hear people in the flat above me clearly which drives me mad. Ma previous flat was totally opposite, you couldn't hear other neighbours at all.

Cheers!

I can't edit the post above, wanted to add that it's Fitzwilliam Street. Except Devonshire Gardens seems fine, as the tram line and all pubs are on the other side of the building really.

Edited by Rumcajs_9

Just so you're aware, the little housing estate immediately to the south of West One Panorama around Broom Walk can be a bit iffy at times, and there's sometimes muggings etc. I once spent the night at a mate's house there and people were trying his door handles and all sorts.

14 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

Just so you're aware, the little housing estate immediately to the south of West One Panorama around Broom Walk can be a bit iffy at times, and there's sometimes muggings etc. I once spent the night at a mate's house there and people were trying his door handles and all sorts.

Now I am surprised, because that housing estate looked really decent when I was there!

12 minutes ago, Rumcajs_9 said:

Now I am surprised, because that housing estate looked really decent when I was there!

I think a lot of the properties are reasonably new and were built in the late 90s. The area has been spruced up but some of the issues remain with gangs etc. Similar to Moss Side in Manchester, although obviously not as bad.