Sign in to follow this  

Robotic Lawn Mower

Does anyone use a Robotic Lawn Mower without handles that cuts the grass on its own ? I’ve often wondered about buying one but wondered what they are like as they are quite expensive. I have two very large lawns but pay a man to cut them in the Summer.

My son has one.  When it’s working ok it’s great.  Its not noisy, it keeps the grass very neat, but not quite bowling green standard!  It has a headlight,  odd to see it going back and forwards in the dark. 

2 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

My son has one.  When it’s working ok it’s great.  Its not noisy, it keeps the grass very neat, but not quite bowling green standard!  It has a headlight,  odd to see it going back and forwards in the dark. 

Thank you Ms Macbeth for your advice. It is very helpful, and has given me more confidence to buy one now. 

You need to have some sort of wire round the perimeter of your grass. Thats what turns the mower round. My son can also switch his on and off via an app on his phone.   It recharges via a docking station.  Clever stuff.

Round here in rural France, people tend to have large gardens, mainly given over to lawn. Did think about a robot but as the "lawns" are sloping , uneven with obstacles like trees / roots, have been told that robots are best on level ground. Lots of folk round our way have sit on mowers but the owners usually work full time and noisy garden tools aren't allowed on Sunday so they often have only Saturday afternoon for mowing, Being retired I've plenty of time so am happy to use a lightweight battery operated mower.

Thank you for all your advice. Have taken note of everything.