Winn Gardens: Good Or Bad To Live In

I plan to move to Winn Gardens and have talked to a few of the people there when did my site check recently.  All of them were really nice, friendly and approachable.  But I saw in those older threads in this forum quite a lot of people said it’s a place to avoid.  So what is the truth?

Besides, I have a particular concern over the flooding risk.  Its being badly flooded in 2007 and the risk on the government website is medium (3.3% to 1%), meaning flooding is expected every 33 to 100 years, as far as I understand.  Do anyone know what has been done to River Don in that particular area after 2007 that might reduce the risk?  Grateful if anyone can enlighten me.  

Also I understand Middlewood Road and the Tram in that part were suspended from service for 17 months - resumption was in December 2008.  How was it then and how did the residents cope with their commuting needs then?

Thanks so much.

3 hours ago, Guk said:

Also I understand Middlewood Road and the Tram in that part were suspended from service for 17 months - resumption was in December 2008.  How was it then and how did the residents cope with their commuting needs then?

The road past the Middlewood Tavern was shut for months and months, fortunately we did not live in Oughtibridge back then because that will have been a nightmare... Apparently the embankment for the road (where it goes round the S bends) had been washed out at the bottom by the river and it was  a major job to rebuild it.

As far as I know the Tram never stopped running, are you getting confused with the 57 bus route (which was diverted via Worrall) ?

14 hours ago, Chekhov said:

The road past the Middlewood Tavern was shut for months and months, fortunately we did not live in Oughtibridge back then because that will have been a nightmare... Apparently the embankment for the road (where it goes round the S bends) had been washed out at the bottom by the river and it was  a major job to rebuild it.

As far as I know the Tram never stopped running, are you getting confused with the 57 bus route (which was diverted via Worrall) ?

Thanks Chekhov, it's good to know the Tram wasn't shut off (I guess I got it wrong by mixing up some information).  So the Middlewood Road down from Winn Gardens to Hillsborough wasn't shut off then? (Not as bad as that?)  Thanks again if anyone could enlighten me.

Winn gardens is a lot better now than it used to be  

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

Winn gardens is a lot better now than it used to be  

Thanks Rudds1.  Glad to hear that from you.

9 hours ago, Guk said:

Thanks Chekhov, it's good to know the Tram wasn't shut off (I guess I got it wrong by mixing up some information).  So the Middlewood Road down from Winn Gardens to Hillsborough wasn't shut off then? (Not as bad as that?)  Thanks again if anyone could enlighten me.

No, I don't think so, not for any length of time anyway.

The road from Winn Gardens to Hillsborough only gets shut off when tram rail replacement works are needed, but there is always a replacement bus service running from the park and ride.

Edited by Longy67