Different Things To Use To Kill Weeds.

Because my friend has two dogs who like to sniff around my garden, I don’t want to use ordinary weedkiller. I found a tip of alternatives to use. One was a tablespoon of cooking salt diluted in a jug of boiling water, and another was bicarbonate of soda sprinkled on dry. Has anyone tried these two alternatives? Do they work ?

I use salt on the weeds that grow through the patio . If it stays dry I water them in after a couple of days .

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I use salt on the weeds that grow through the patio . If it stays dry I water them in after a couple of days .

Thank you for your advice. Do you put the salt on dry or dissolve it first in boiling water.

14 hours ago, pattricia said:

Thank you for your advice. Do you put the salt on dry or dissolve it first in boiling water.

Dry . If no rain , water it in after a few days 

52 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Dry . If no rain , water it in after a few days 

Does it kill the weeds ? My weeds are also growing through my patio.

32 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Does it kill the weeds ? My weeds are also growing through my patio.

Yes , just persevere with it and a bit of trial and error.

I will give this a go. I have a block paved drive and it will soon need mowing. I will try some rock salt left over from the winter and water it in. I don't think it will rain for a couple of weeks....!🙂

1 hour ago, Cyclecar said:

I will give this a go. I have a block paved drive and it will soon need mowing. I will try some rock salt left over from the winter and water it in. I don't think it will rain for a couple of weeks....!🙂

Thats what put me onto this . There’s a grit bin on our road and no grass/ weeds grow round it because of spillage.