Buying - Looking For Local Recommendations For Conveyancing Solicitor

Hi all,

About to buy a house in the Hillsborough area and I'm after some recommendations for a decent conveyancing solicitor. I've been poking around on the big "we do everything for you" type of sites like London & Country and Habito but the reviews on their services are pretty mixed so figure its probably best to get someone from the local area who's knowledgeable and wont be a nightmare to deal with!

Edited by RickM
typo

17 hours ago, RickM said:

Hi all,

About to buy a house in the Hillsborough area and I'm after some recommendations for a decent conveyancing solicitor. I've been poking around on the big "we do everything for you" type of sites like London & Country and Habito but the reviews on their services are pretty mixed so figure its probably best to get someone from the local area who's knowledgeable and wont be a nightmare to deal with!

If you’re using an estate agent ask them for a recommendation, they will have an arrangement with a trustworthy firm that will give you a deal.

On 04/05/2022 at 14:19, crookesey said:

If you’re using an estate agent ask them for a recommendation, they will have an arrangement with a trustworthy firm that will give you a deal.

I'd check the reviews, if they have them. The one I was recommended had a significant fraction of very bad reviews.

Best is to get a recommendation from a friend you know well, though as I found a lot of people could only say all the ones they had used were useless...

On 04/05/2022 at 14:19, crookesey said:

The problem is that at least some EAs have 'under-the-table' deals with solicitors (= "pay us a fee,  undisclosed to prospective clients, and we'll tell them your details"). As per post #3, you need an impartial, disinterested recommendation instead.

15 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

The problem is that at least some EAs have 'under-the-table' deals with solicitors (= "pay us a fee,  undisclosed to prospective clients, and we'll tell them your details"). As per post #3, you need an impartial, disinterested recommendation instead.

I should have added ‘and then check them out’, if you think that you will ever find a completely impartial legal adviser you are an eternal optimist. Whoever gives you a recommendation might be paying back a favour, but that’s how it works, I spent over 20 years doing it and never purposely  gave bad advice.

Every solicitor is duty-bound to give completely impartial legal advice.

That's exactly why those who collude in secret deals with EAs are so pernicious.