Castle Dyke Playing Fields

Like it has been said by another user would you let the public roam around your garden? I think not!!!

What you are campaigning for is wrong. The School is in no fault whatsoever and have every right to do as they please with the land that they paid money for. History is irrelevant regarding the number of years an individual has walked his/her dog on the said area. The fact is that Birkdale OWN the lease and therefore OWN the right to do as they please. I hope time/effort/money will not be wasted in such a cause as this because the law is the law. This time/effort/money could be used more effectively in helping your “play-starved” children find somewhere else to play. How about the back garden like the majority of children today.

The Birkdale playing fields may have been a public right several years ago when there was no lease or very little of it left occupied by either the council or by Birkdale themselves, but recently Birkdale have just signed a contract for a loan on Castle Dyke playing fields for the next 100 years. If i am not mistaken then if Birkdale have a lease on property, they are entitled to fence off parts of the playing fields as they feel the need to because of the public exploitation on them. There is a simple reason for this, dog fouling on the fields is not pleasant especially when the school use the playing fields 3 days a week it is not nice to tread carefully when you are playing sport.

Before the fences were erected, Birkdale have used the playing fields for many years now and have witnessed several encounters of exploitation from youths around the area. In one instance, Birkdale found a burnt out car on one of the cricket squares which during the summer season, meant that the games had to be rescheduled due to this. Also Birkdale have found children playing on the cricket creases when they are not meant to be disturbed as they require 100% care leading up to matches.

I know these are picky subjects but they have all been brought to my attention and we all feel strongly for the fences erected around Castle Dyke.

Birkdale have recently built the new Brocksford Pavilion to cater for the pupils of the school. This has cost millions and the pupils are privaleged to be in such up-to-date facilities as these BUT it is not nice to know that when you drive up to the pavilion you are greeted with a grafitied iron gate that quotes "Birkdale Birks" which is very incosiderate of them to do this because Birkdale are rightfully altering their land they have currently on lease. Like any house and im sure that many of you know this but plans for the house and the boundaries are marked on to answer any conflicts that may occur with residents.

As for the playing fields, Birkdale will have boundaries and plans drawn and when erecting the fences they would have took these into consideration to avoid critics from the public and the council. Im certain that if you have a plot of land that you have rightful laws on it then you wouldn't like dogs fouling on it would you?

The point im trying to get across to all the people against the fences is that there is a public right of way running between the fields so there should be no complaints that you are been restricted from using the fields. They are rightfully, and by law, part of Birkdale school and they may use the fields in any way the wish.

I found a website that was created by protesters against the fences and it is ironic how they have spent so much time and money making this that deep down they know that the have a lost cause and by the law they cannot do anythin about it. Even if they wanted to let their dogs onto the fields then surely isn't it right for the mess to be cleared and disposed of correctly. I am sure you wouldn't like your child running and treading in dog mess to be carried back to your home.

It was even suggested that broken glass was found shoved into the playing field as a mark of protest against the fences, I find this to be diabolical and I disagree why you are doing such actions. Why would you want to harm children when the problem is to do with the council. You are all in the wrong and you should grow up and think about what you are doing before you begin doing such horrid actions.

If anyone feels strongly for the fences around Castle Dyke then you are the wise ones in this debate. The campaigners are useless and are fighting a lost cause. Here is the site that was created by these so called 'residents', obviously you have nothing better to do than spend your days on the internet making sites up about a fence that doesn't really affect you.

I am FOR the fences erected at Castle Dyke. Birkdale have the right, the residents dont!!!!

We aren't officially connected with the school, we are commited protesters FOR the erection of the fences!

Castle Dyke isn't even fenced off! It's only the playing pitches that are fenced to protect players from dog muck because the dog owners don't clear up after their animals. There is plenty of room round the periphery for walking dogs etc. These fields are available for public hire so its not just kids at a private school who are affected by the glass and dogmuck on the pitch. How does Route66 justify the glass on the pitches?

The issue here is as someone has previoulsy stated the COUNCIL. They greedily took the money without thinking through the consequences, then when residents didn't like it they tried to protest against it saying it wasn't their fault.....sound familiar? That's Sheffield council all over.

The fact is that once you've bought something and paid for it's too late for people to stop you doing what you like with it.

Played football and rugby up there before.

Its possible the COLDEST place in sheffield to play sports.

Its near artic conditions.

You could see rain coming across sheffield in the winter, and by the time it hit the pitches up their it would be hail.

The changing rooms used to smell of TCP / **** and were fookin awful.

I think its about the highest point in sheffield as well. Just down from the round house. You can see nearlly all of the city from there on days like today.

The issue here is as someone has previoulsy stated the COUNCIL.

What on earth is this Council up to regarding Green Space's??? Just reading thread's alone, reveals rumours of development or sale of Green Spaces. I can actually see both sides of the coin regarding this thread.

What is apparent is the fact that we are losing Valuable Green Space in one way or another, which can never be replaced.....

Apparently Sheffield spends £7million a year on parks and open spaces, compared with the less green Leeds who spend £50 million. At a recent meeting the head of the department in Sheffield said she saw no problem with selling off or developing part of an open space if the money went to pay for improvement of the rest. So the Council makes up the shortfall by selling bits off rather than putting its money where its supposed policy is. Unfortunately it will sooner or later run out of bits to sell, and we'll have lost a lot of our green spaces.:loopy:

Apparently Sheffield spends £7million a year on parks and open spaces, compared with the less green Leeds who spend £50 million. At a recent meeting the head of the department in Sheffield said she saw no problem with selling off or developing part of an open space if the money went to pay for improvement of the rest. So the Council makes up the shortfall by selling bits off rather than putting its money where its supposed policy is. Unfortunately it will sooner or later run out of bits to sell, and we'll have lost a lot of our green spaces.:loopy:

Would the Head of Department at the recent meeting be no other than the :

Head of Parks and Countryside?

I think that's right Camz. To be fair I think she saw it as the about the only way to get anything done in many cases, not the preferred way of doing things, but the lack of funding left little choice.