What do you hate about Sheffield?

The fact that in Birmingham (where my girlfriend is at university) the maximum bus fare is £1.20 and students ride for free, here it costs me and our lass £3.70 each just to get from deepcar to wharncliffe side and back, hardly discourages drink driving does it?!

I live in the south of sheffield so rarely hear people with an authentic sheffield accent but I'm glad really as I can't abide people who say lass or duck or love. or The Wife when really they mean my partner

I live in the south of sheffield so rarely hear people with an authentic sheffield accent but I'm glad really as I can't abide people who say lass or duck or love. or The Wife when really they mean my partner

Why didnt you just get a 1st day for 3.50 each and get unlimited travel for that day!

Only saves you 20p each...but a savings a saving!

Ok, as a few of you have said, around the market/Wilkinsons (Waingate) is absolutely awful. It's grotty and all you see around there are chavs basically. I try and avoid it as much as possible, and I am not saying I am better than everybody else or anything like that but to be honest I don't want to 'mix' down there!

There's also a lot of roadworks and new builds happening in Sheffield at the moment. It seems that where ever you go it's being dug up, or what was once there is either replaced by a load of scaffolding, a totally new building or has closed down and laying empty. I am guessing that once everything has been completed, such as the new square (on the corner of Leopold Street/West Street with all the new bars, restaurants and a hotel too) it will all look and feel a lot better and less like you're going on a night out round a building site, which is basically how it feels to walk around town these days, don't you think???

Some people have spoken about the stong Sheffiled accent that some people have, and yes I agree sometimes it is cringe worthy, especially if you hear it on TV and it wasn't expected... but I guess each city/county have their own accents and that is basically how a lot of people in Sheffield/Yorkshire sound. I don't have a typically strong accent and I know how to conduct myself properly, but I do think that as long as you speak clearly and know how to conduct yourself when it really matters then it doesn't matter what accent you have.

The rest are all Mobile phone shops or Poundland... I ask you what the chuff is the point of having 2 seperate Poundlands in shouting distance of each other? :loopy:

Hey Rich, you know, you're right... and Nobody was right too about breaking up the long line of Greggs bakeries, BUT the Pounshops are actually different. For example, the 99p Shop near the Argos is great because it is big, sells a wide variety of items and and they quite often get a lot of things in there that are most definitely a lot lot lot cheaper than in other stores (and they are identical!). I mean, just recently (and I know these aren't a shining example of the 'classy stuff' that they do sometimes sell, because they do.. sometimes!) but they have been selling fabulous England merchandise, infact they might even have some left if you want to head down!! :)

The two £shops down the Moor are totally different to one another. The large one across from the Halifax (same as the one in Meadowhall) is again far better than the smaller one further down. They aren't the same chain either and don't have the same stock.

As for Gregg's... they HAVE to the best sarnie shop (and cannot be found 'down South' you know folks..!), so let them branch out and have them dotted about everywhere.. why not! They are obviously making the cash!

Thought a first day was £3.70? Hasn't it just gone up?

Aren't they always going up??? Does my little head in! A huge chunk of my wages goes just on my travel pass which let's face it, I could probably get away without needing (as much anyways) if I didn't have to go to work. Life's just one big catch 22 situation isn't it?!

Aren't they always going up??? Does my little head in! A huge chunk of my wages goes just on my travel pass which let's face it, I could probably get away without needing (as much anyways) if I didn't have to go to work. Life's just one big catch 22 situation isn't it?!

My little car is a diesel and not very environmentally friendly but it is economical. To drive in to sheffield in the comfort of my own car instead of on dirty, smelly, graffitti scrawled buses would probably only cost me a few pence more than the extortionate bus fare. So much for encouraging people to use public transport:loopy:

Gregg's... they HAVE to the best sarnie shop (and cannot be found 'down South' you know folks..!), so let them branch out and have them dotted about everywhere.. why not! They are obviously making the cash!

Good joke about the sarnies, but who cares whether they're down south or not? It's not home-cooked authentic Yorkshire grub, you know...

I hate the place because it means I have to look at large people inhaling pasties everywhere in town. It's hard not to end up covered in other people's crumbs these days.

And who rattled your cage..... there's more to life than a few bloody crumbs. You want facing you this weekend what I have facing me then you might have a clue about what matters and what doesn't. All this is on here is a deflect in life... well for me it is anyway. Sheffield Forum is the place I come to search for meaningless things to write about (most of the time) to take my mind of the reality of what's really going on - I call it taking my mind off things. So, I couldn't care less if you think that I made a pointless point about Gregg's not being down south.. I don't even care myself if they are or not, but writing that bumph gave me other stuff to be thinking about.......... and so, I wrote it!

Archived