Alcoholic ginger beer

samssong

Has any one any advice on how to brew alcoholic ginger beer or perhaps one made with rhubarb .

I have a couple of five gallon brewing barrels and fermenting buckets so I would like to give it a go.

Well, I was drinking some home made last night and have 2 bottles in the fridge for tonight about 5-6% ABV :)

You will need some basic knowledge of brewing and here is a youtube clip with a similar recipe.

My recipe for 16Ltr. (tsp = teaspoon)

1K malt extract

1K sugar

1k root ginger

2 lemons

4 limes

1 grapefruit

1 large orange

2 tsp pectolase

1 tsp nutrient

2 tsp wine yeast

Additional spice to taste.

2 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinamon

4 whole cloves

Half tsp cayenne pepper

How to:

You will need a large stockpot or pan that will hold at least 5Ltr.

Grate, slice or shred the ginger and add to pan. If sliced then bash it with a rolling pin.

Grate lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit zest and add to pan. Squeeze juice from fruit and add to pan. If using spice then add that to the pan. Pour over 3-4Ltr boiling water to cover ingredients, bring to the boil and gently simmer for around half hour. Take in the beautiful smell and stir often. Set to one side and allow to cool.

In a sterilised fermenting bin add the sugar and the malt and pour in contents of stockpot and stir till sugar and malt are dissolved. Top up to the 16Ltr mark with cold water and allow to cool to correct temp for yeast. Add pectolase, nutrient and yeast and give it a stir. After 5 days use a sieve and take solids out and continue fermenting till the bubbles have ceased in the airlock and it starts to clear. Transfer to PET bottles with half teaspoon of sugar in and leave in warm place for a few weeks to carbonate which is easy to tell by pressing the bottle side. Cool well in a fridge before drinking.

PM if you need some help and want to try some. ;)

Well, I was drinking some home made last night and have 2 bottles in the fridge for tonight about 5-6% ABV :)

You will need some basic knowledge of brewing and here is a youtube clip with a similar recipe.

1K malt extract

1K sugar

1k root ginger

2 lemons

4 limes

1 grapefruit

1 large orange

2 tsp pectolase

1 tsp nutrient

2 tsp wine yeast

2 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinamon

4 whole cloves

Half tsp cayenne pepper

How to:

Grate, slice or shred the ginger and add to pan. If sliced then bash it with a rolling pin.

Grate lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit zest and add to pan. Squeeze juice from fruit and add to pan. If using spice then add that to the pan. Pour over 3-4Ltr boiling water to cover ingredients, bring to the boil and gently simmer for around half hour. Take in the beautiful smell and stir often. Set to one side and allow to cool.

In a sterilised fermenting bin add the sugar and the malt and pour in contents of stockpot and stir till sugar and malt are dissolved. Top up to the 16Ltr mark with cold water and allow to cool to correct temp for yeast. Add pectolase, nutrient and yeast and give it a stir. After 5 days use a sieve and take solids out and continue fermenting till the bubbles have ceased in the airlock and it starts to clear. Transfer to PET bottles with half teaspoon of sugar in and leave in warm place for a few weeks to carbonate which is easy to tell by pressing the bottle side. Cool well in a fridge before drinking.

Thanks for that I will give it a go .

---------- Post added 07-04-2017 at 19:41 ----------

1K malt extract

1K sugar

1k root ginger

2 lemons

4 limes

1 grapefruit

1 large orange

2 tsp pectolase

1 tsp nutrient

2 tsp wine yeast

2 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp cinamon

4 whole cloves

Half tsp cayenne pepper

How to:

I have got all the ingredients today from Barnsley market inc all the brew stuff from the home brew stall , so here goes , cheers and thanks.:cool: