The Consequences of Brexit (part 3)

Well there'll be a lot of land free once the Brexiteers have decimated farming. That'll help make the billionaires who brought us Brexit even richer! Fund manager Jacob Rees Mogg MP must be salivating at the prospect.

It'll making housing cheaper as well as food, by reducing the pressure on land supply.

Billionaires seem to get richer no matter what we do, I'm not aware of any of the main Brexiteers being that wealthy, and Jacob Rees Mogg is certainly wealthy but well short of being a billionaire.

It actually is. Besides I'm not advocating the abolition of UK farming, just that it operate on a level playing field.

no other country in the world does this, for all the reasons we've covered

I'm not aware of any of the main Brexiteers being that wealthy

No? The Barclay Brothers who own the Daily Telegraph ran a decades long campaign of disinformation, making up all sorts of falsehoods about the EU. They float around the top of the Sunday Times Rich List with wealth of £2bn.

Their businesses dodge UK tax and they themselves are part resident in Monaco to avoid UK tax. They must think they have lucked out at the prospect of the UK becoming a tax haven just off Europe, no wonder they are carrying on their propaganda campaign so aggressively!

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 20:41 ----------

It'll making housing cheaper as well as food, by reducing the pressure on land supply.

There's plenty of spare land already. Brexit and town planning have no link. You really do think the whole countryside is totally utilised for farming and farmers are massively wealthy, don't you? Get out the city this weekend and go visit the real countryside...

Edited by Flexo

no other country in the world does this, for all the reasons we've covered

New Zealand has no agricultural subsidies at all and works and campaigns hard to eliminate tariffs.

It's amazing to me that the remain supporters are able to simultaneously argue that we have to stay in the EU to avoid tariffs and other trade barriers within Europe, but that tariffs and trade barriers imposed by the EU on the rest of the world are somehow a good thing.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 20:46 ----------

No? The Barclay Brothers who own the Daily Telegraph ran a decades long campaign of disinformation, making up all sorts of falsehoods about the EU. They float around the top of the Sunday Times Rich List with wealth of £2bn.

Their businesses dodge UK tax and they themselves are part resident in Monaco to avoid UK tax. They must think they have lucked out at the prospect of the UK becoming a tax haven just off Europe, no wonder they are carrying on their propaganda campaign so aggressively!

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 20:41 ----------

There's plenty of spare land already. Brexit and town planning have no link. You really do think the whole countryside is totally utilised for farming and farmers are massively wealthy, don't you? Get out the city this weekend and go visit the real countryside...

I grew up in the countryside and I don't have much time for the Barclay Brothers myself.

How long do you think it'll take me to find hyper-rich remainers? Oh look Branson. Wow that was fast.

Also, if there was "plenty of spare land" I wouldn't have to put an upper limit of £250k into right move looking for my next house.

Edited by unbeliever

It actually is. Besides I'm not advocating the abolition of UK farming, just that it operate on a level playing field.

On a level playing field with the developing world?

How is that going to work?

Well we have industrialised farming and they have lower labour costs.

UK farmers have reduced transport costs as well and possibly a couple of other natural advantages.

A natural balance will emerge maximising the efficiency of domestic farming through healthy competition like absolutely every other industry on Earth.

Why do you even ask me this? Why should agriculture be different from any other business? There's no mystery or magic here. It's all painfully obvious.

New Zealand has no agricultural subsidies at all and works and campaigns hard to eliminate tariffs.

It's amazing to me that the remain supporters are able to simultaneously argue that we have to stay in the EU to avoid tariffs and other trade barriers within Europe, but that tariffs and trade barriers imposed by the EU on the rest of the world are somehow a good thing.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 20:46 ----------

I grew up in the countryside and I don't have much time for the Barclay Brothers myself.

How long do you think it'll take me to find hyper-rich remainers? Oh look Branson. Wow that was fast.

Also, if there was "plenty of spare land" I wouldn't have to put an upper limit of £250k into right move looking for my next house.

Do you seriously think that lack of land is the cause for house prices being high?

Of course you don't. This is the classic "lets squawk like a seagull and throw muck everywhere and just make stuff up" in order to give your opponents a scattergun pile of rubbish to refute in the vain hope that you can avoid the real question.

1. Farmers in this country by and large have little money and make less than most people

2. They dont by and large drive new Range Rovers. Odss are they cant even afford an old range rover.

3. Farming subsidies are necessary to guide farming as we need. The country is NOT self sufficient in food, and it cannot be unless we reduce our population by half.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 20:57 ----------

Why should agriculture be different from any other business? There's no mystery or magic here. It's all painfully obvious.

When you understand why it is and should and is needed to be different then you will understand and we can discuss this rationally.

This is where regulation plays its part. By us all working to common standards on things like quality, safety, environment and workers we compete fairly and avoid a race-to-the-bottom.

We had more tariffs and trade barriers before we all joined the EU. The EU has allowed harmonisation to take place, and done so carefully over time.

The EU makes agreements with other countries on tariffs and trade barriers. They are very complicated subjects and it takes some time to negotiate.

The idea that the UK will go making trade deals all around the world in some big hurry is fantasy.

The idea that the UK will suddenly unilaterally abolish all tariffs and protections, allowing unfair competition from regimes without protections for workers and so on, is the dangerous fantasy of a handful of a small minority of economists and far right MPs. Even they say it will eliminate manufacturing in the UK.

Whilst yourself and a few economists might be happy to eliminate manufacturing and decimate farming, the vox pops I have heard from Brexit voters were saying the opposite. I haven't heard any say "yeah I voted for Brexit so I can eat bad food from America and decimate UK farming, bring it on!".

I grew up in the countryside

You did? Prove it please. See we can play the pointless many questions routine too.

Also, if there was "plenty of spare land"

There is spare land. Go look

I wouldn't have to put an upper limit of £250k into right move looking for my next house.

Why did you do that?

I think he means we will be growing mangoes and Kenya will take care of dairy farming. :loopy:

Well, when the NHS gets the 350 million a week..... I think then would be a good time.

---------- Post added 13-04-2017 at 02:20 ----------

It;s not my country any more and I dont care if the UK fails or not.

No one said the NHS was going to get that ..are you really that thick or just acting?....and if you don't care about the Uk why is Brexit any concern of yours...mind you having read the "one MP murdered" because of brexit pretty much shows the kind of person you are....you are like the rest of your kind, remainers that is you have really no clue what is going to happen but are absolutely adamant that we will be worse off out of this corrupt skint union, well lets wait and see hope you are not disappointed but I have a feeling you will be..

Well we have industrialised farming and they have lower labour costs.

No they dont. We have it industrialised our labour costs are less

UK farmers have reduced transport costs as well

Guess why NZ is not relevant. Whats the place cost of NZ lamb?

and possibly a couple of other natural advantages.

We do? what are they?

A natural balance will emerge maximising the efficiency of domestic farming through healthy competition like absolutely every other industry on Earth.

Admit it you went to one of Charlie boys holistic bullfluff sessions didnt you.