Air Raid Shelters

Hello Everyone,

I’ve recently bought an end terrace in Meersbrook and there is an old Air Raid shelter in the garden. It’s made from corrugated iron and it just looks like the iron has been curved into a semi circle and then secured into the hill against a wall.

Does anyone know if the old shelters have preservation orders on them or where I can find out more information?

Many Thanks

They are not likely to have any sort of order on them. They are Anderson Shelters and quite easy to remove. I took out quite a lot in my younger days. By now, I would think the bolts might be a bit rusty, but once you’ve cleared the earth there’s only a dozen holding them together. I used to get £1.10s for taking them out, and I removed them for free because I got £2.10s for them at a scrap yard. It was a good business while it lasted!

Thanks for the information - I have contacted the council and they didn't really have an answer for me - they said they would look into it and get back to me.

I'd be happy to leave it in the garden and make it into some kind of feature - however it completely blocks my access to my little lawn, which is behind the shelter. So ideally it has top go.

Peter if you feel like starting up that business again - let me know!

Kind Regards -

Thanks for the information - I have contacted the council and they didn't really have an answer for me - they said they would look into it and get back to me.

I'd be happy to leave it in the garden and make it into some kind of feature - however it completely blocks my access to my little lawn, which is behind the shelter. So ideally it has top go.

Peter if you feel like starting up that business again - let me know!

Kind Regards -

Sorry. Too old and in a wheelchair! Otherwise, be glad to oblige, although my prices might have had to rise substantially.

We have a bomb shelter under our our back garden.

I've known it was somewhere under there for years, but saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago when we had the garden made over.

It had a reinforced concrete roof (which may have been added later) and solid brick walls. The gardener said it was the best-built shelter he'd seen from hundreds he's worked on in the past. Obviously the person who built it wanted to survive!

The shelter goes several feet underground, but due to time restraints, we didn't investigate it any further.

The shelter is still there (it was so well constructed that it would have taken a while to demolish it) but it's now been filled over with earth, to stop the little 'uns from falling in.

I might dig it up again in a few decades, once I've retired...

It had a reinforced concrete roof (which may have been added later) and solid brick walls. The gardener said it was the best-built shelter he'd seen from hundreds he's worked on in the past. Obviously the person who built it wanted to survive!

The shelter goes several feet underground, but due to time restraints, we didn't investigate it any further.

The shelter is still there (it was so well constructed that it would have taken a while to demolish it) but it's now been filled over with earth, to stop the little 'uns from falling in.

I might dig it up again in a few decades, once I've retired...

I thought you were going to say it was also lead lined, maybe someone took the film Threads as a serious possiblity.

• 3 months later...
Hello Everyone,

I’ve recently bought an end terrace in Meersbrook and there is an old Air Raid shelter in the garden. It’s made from corrugated iron and it just looks like the iron has been curved into a semi circle and then secured into the hill against a wall.

Does anyone know if the old shelters have preservation orders on them or where I can find out more information?

Many Thanks

There are quite a few gardens round us with them. ~Ours is used as a garden shed. I keep looking for the old Shelter signs they had in the war so I can put one on the door but can't find one.