Do online petitions actually ever achieve their goal?

Abso-blimmin-loootely! :D

I sign at least one petition a day

And I'm glad to do it, in the hope it brings change

It takes like 10 seconds man!

What's the biggie?

Ummm..No biggie....But why would I sign something I don't agree with?...Or do you just sign them all?

Ummm..No biggie....But why would I sign something I don't agree with?...Or do you just sign them all?

Who asked you to?

Who asked you to?

Um...Indirectly 'you'

You said you complete at least one a day..No matter what the content, and said it was just a few seconds!

Maybe it's the way it was written, I don't know.

But in my view blindly filling in everything that drifts along is what's wrong with the system...Wouldn't it make sense to sign stuff you only agree with? :suspect:

You said you complete at least one a day..No matter what the content

Where have I said this Pete?

Not defeatist...just fatigue...

Are you advocating everyone just sign anything that comes along, to just keep sheer numbers of petition alive in the hope that something might wriggle through and be acted upon?

Abso-blimmin-loootely! :D

I sign at least one petition a day

And I'm glad to do it, in the hope it brings change

It takes like 10 seconds man!

What's the biggie?

Here!...............

Unfortunately I have to side with Pete on this one. Forget petitions for a minute - let's go a step further and look mat 'consultations'. As someone who has witnessed many and been both directly and indirectly involved in several, I can state with confidence that they have almost no effect whatsoever. I have witnessed results in excess of '85% against' a motion that is being consulted on, only for it to go ahead anyway.

It really seems to be just a box-ticking exercise. This is what we want to do. We will ask your opinion. Then we will do it anyway.

Unfortunately I have to side with Pete on this one. Forget petitions for a minute - let's go a step further and look mat 'consultations'. As someone who has witnessed many and been both directly and indirectly involved in several, I can state with confidence that they have almost no effect whatsoever. I have witnessed results in excess of '85% against' a motion that is being consulted on, only for it to go ahead anyway.

It really seems to be just a box-ticking exercise. This is what we want to do. We will ask your opinion. Then we will do it anyway.

Hahaha...Why unfortunately?

Hahaha...Why unfortunately?

Sorry Pete. That wasn't meant as 'unfortunately' I have to agree with you. I just meant 'unfortunately' I think you are right. If that makes sense.

Sorry Pete. That wasn't meant as 'unfortunately' I have to agree with you. I just meant 'unfortunately' I think you are right. If that makes sense.

I'm only jesting...Personally I think the petitions culture has arisen because it's easy to get signatures on line from people who don't give a toss one way or the other.

I remember the days when they had to get 'real' signatures on actual pieces of paper and deliver them to No 10 or wherever. Yes they probably went straight in the bin at the back of No 10, but the symbolism was far more powerful.

Edited by PeteMorris

Here!...............

OK

To clarify

Assumption was you meant signing any petitions that I identified with

I don't sign petitions that don't call to me

Now I understand the weirdness about what seemed straightforward :hihi: