Where can you buy blank audio cassettes?

goldenfleece

I found some Maxell cassettes in a 5 pack in Maplin for £10.99 but these seem to be rather naff quality and not suitable for archive recording and storage. They barely sound good enough in my car which is annoying as I have a good high end cassette radio unit fitted. Anyone know who still sells chrome or metal cassettes, any decent brand. I tried high street stores I used to buy tapes, ie Boots, Smiths, Curry's, etc, but nothing at all.....very odd.

Tried online and can only find those cheap Maxell ferro cassettes which are not the highest quality.

Maxell always was crappy quality, once I could afford it I made all my mixtapes on BASF tapes. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, haven't done for a long time. Good news though, TDK still make tapes and sell them via Amazon, they are pretty good as well if memory serves me right.

Maxell always was crappy quality, once I could afford it I made all my mixtapes on BASF tapes. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, haven't done for a long time. Good news though, TDK still make tapes and sell them via Amazon, they are pretty good as well if memory serves me right.

TDK still produce them? I am sure I couldn't find any yesterday I will have another look. BASF were great yes, as were SONY branded tapes, but TDK SA-X type were my preference.

Tapeline in Stockport sell freshly wound audio cassettes. Be wary of 'new' ferric cassettes sold on Ebay and the like as they are probably old unused stock and ferric tape deteriorates over time. I can't post the link yet but their web address ends .info but don't let it put you off just because it's not a .com or .co.uk.

Just as a bit of extra advice don't buy anything longer than 90 minute cassettes because the tape is thin and stretches and seemingly more prone in car stereos. Chrome tape is far more stretch resistant, less susceptible to aging and C60's thicker tape if you're looking at archiving.