Building noise regulations

Hello,

Building work is being undertaken on the site of the old Abbey Glen Laundry. At present work appears to be focused on the foundations for the new properties being constructed.

I was under the belief that noisy building work in residential areas can only take place between 8am-6pm Monday to Friday and 8am-1pm on a Saturday.

It's 13.30 on Saturday and my house it shaking and clattering from the continuous drilling, digging and hammering. I literally cannot hear myself think.

Am I within my rights to complain about this?

Thank you for any advice.

Nicotrod

Hello,

Building work is being undertaken on the site of the old Abbey Glen Laundry. At present work appears to be focused on the foundations for the new properties being constructed.

I was under the belief that noisy building work in residential areas can only take place between 8am-6pm Monday to Friday and 8am-1pm on a Saturday.

It's 13.30 on Saturday and my house it shaking and clattering from the continuous drilling, digging and hammering. I literally cannot hear myself think.

Am I within my rights to complain about this?

Thank you for any advice.

Nicotrod

I've just checked the Planning Application 14/03493/FUL.

One of the conditions imposed is "Construction & demolition works that are audible at the site boundary shall only take place between 7.30 - 18.00 hrs Monday to Friday ; 8.00 - 13.00 hrs on Saturdays.

So at 13.30 looks like they are not working within conditions.

Would get your evidence and go to Environmental Health; also Planning Dept. can put a stop to it.

Weekdays people tend to be out at work. Having your house rattling around on a much needed day off isn't great. Especially if you have people over or want to relax. Being next to a building site is really disruptive.

Your house was once a building site.

Your house was once a building site.

I'm sure that the OP isn't alone in hoping that houses are built to the building regulations. You'd have to question that if the site is happy to skip around one regulation to get the job done as fast as possible, what other regulations were ignored.

I'm sure that the OP isn't alone in hoping that houses are built to the building regulations. You'd have to question that if the site is happy to skip around one regulation to get the job done as fast as possible, what other regulations were ignored.

I can understand the noise aspect of Industry having lived in the East end of Sheffield when the hammers and rolling mills were at full tilt [wish they would return tomorrow].

However I have worked in the building trade and I can assure you that it is a trade governed by the weather.

A team of bricklayers for instance may be laid of due to rain ,frost or snow.,Come the weekend and the sun comes out so they decide to make hay while the sun shines .

Bingo they have some wages to come in .Then the nimby's start complaining about noise , dust, mud on road and so on .

So the family's of the building workers end up with no money usually around this time of year.

Building work is not like sitting in a cosy office or call centre or shop work it is work when the work is there or possible.