Recommends for triathlete watches

My son is taking up triathlete training in January he wants a watch that will re ord his swimming laps . This is his weakest disciple so wants to monitor closely . I have looked at some watches but they don't seem to do lap timing . Of course it would be better if it does all of the disciplines . Can anyone recommend a watch please .who is a triathlete and uses said watch for training . Thank you in advance . :)

I would try Decathlon they have some good value sports watches.

Speedo also do them they are nice but pricey.

Try a Finis tempo trainer - it won't record laps but is great for pacing swims. I know several triathletes who use these.

Thank you will take a look .:)

Finis is great for timing, I use garmin swim for recording laps. Only works indoors but I find it invaluable on longer sets. Cheaper than the watches that do it all as well.

Hiya, I've mostly used Timex Ironman watches. The recent models have large easy-to-read faces (great for when visibility is reduced by water on his goggles) with screen-tap technology. This means that your son won't need to worry about pressing a button under water and thus flooding the watch casing, but when he completes a lap he can just tap the screen and it will record the lap for him.

Good luck with his training!

Happy Christmas :-)

Sorry to hijack this thread, but i'm also looking for recommendations for watches and tech for duathlon/triathlon training.

I have been running for a few years, so I have a polar RS300x HRM watch and I use strava app on my phone for gps tracking (although I have the polar gps sensor). I have been using strava for cycling too but I've been reading that people use gps cycling computers to analyse things like cadence, power output and gradient.

So my question is, is there a watch that really does it all? I dont want to spend a fortune unless i can get significantly more than the functions i already have. I really want lap timing, programmable hrm zones & timing, gps as well as cadence for running and cycling.

Hi Pete,

To find one device that measures all those parameters is not something with which I'm familiar, although when I was getting into HRMs etc I had really good service from the people at heart rate monitor .co. uk They gave me lots of good advice and weren't pushing for a sale. So I recommend contacting them as they might be able to help you.

Good luck with your search and training.

Adam.

I use a Garmin 910XT, it maps your Run, bike and even your open water swim, it counts your lengths in the pool, its has all the usual HRM features (max, min, training zones etc.)

it can do run speed & cadence, on the bike it can do speed, elevation, cadence and power and in the pool it also measure stroke rate. ( you will need some other bits on your bike for the RPM & power)

you can switch between sports for when you are racing or brick training as well.

It talks to Strava, Mapmyrun, training peaks and myfitnesspal etc

there is now a 920XT (which no doubt has better features) but this also means you can pick a 910XT up cheaper these days- amazon is the best place I've found

hope that helps

I use a Garmin 910XT, it maps your Run, bike and even your open water swim, it counts your lengths in the pool, its has all the usual HRM features (max, min, training zones etc.)

it can do run speed & cadence, on the bike it can do speed, elevation, cadence and power and in the pool it also measure stroke rate. ( you will need some other bits on your bike for the RPM & power)

you can switch between sports for when you are racing or brick training as well.

It talks to Strava, Mapmyrun, training peaks and myfitnesspal etc

there is now a 920XT (which no doubt has better features) but this also means you can pick a 910XT up cheaper these days- amazon is the best place I've found

hope that helps

That's great thanks, I get a discount with Garmin through work :)