Help with a sloping garden

Hi, I was wondering and hoping if anyone could advise me on the best way to make a sloping back garden more pleasing to be In. It's all weeds and soil, there's no grass, I can't sit out in it as it's embarrassing and actually depressing to even look at. I can't afford a professional so was thinking of tackling this head on myself if I only knew how. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance

We had a very sloping garden and made it into a series of flat sections by using railway sleepers as retaining walls and steps. It was very hard work but lovely when finished. Good luck with your garden

I paid a builder to terrace my slope with two patio terraces. It was expensive but worth it as it basically doubled the amount of usable garden space (ie the whole of the garden!). I forked out for the patio as I wanted it to be a lot less hassle to maintain than the old overgrown mess. I've still got a couple of manageble sized flower beds & bit of lawn. It was well worth saving up for.

As has been said, terracing is the best option. However, you really need to work out your budget because even if you do the work yourself it is likely to be expensive due to the materials that are needed.

Railway sleepers can be used to retain the soil but you will need to source them and transport to site. A brick or stone wall would be an alternative but if you can't manage to build this yourself you will need to pay a bricklayer. A skip will almost certainly be needed. I cannot remember the price for a large one but it is going to probably be at least £100.

Depending upon the garden, it might be best to avoid grass due to the difficulty of mowing it. In that case some hard landscaping might be required such as gravel. Plants that hold the soil and stop it slipping might be best. Low growing shrubs e.g. cotoneaster dammeri or vinca should be suitable.

......... I can't sit out in it as it's embarrassing and actually depressing to even look at.

I would probably start with a small decking area with a few pots for flowers. It will give you somewhere pleasant to 'sit out' and plan your next phase. Sometimes, trying to plan and tackle the whole thing in one go can be a bit daunting.

We had exactly the same problem when we moved - 2 metres of tarmac outside the back door then a slope down to a fence at the bottom. Slope covered in brambles and weeds and too steep to walk down.

We go someone in with a mini-digger who cleared it all and leveled it off to two terraces. One we put decking on and the lower one we surfed over.

Made a garden out of nothing.

It may be worth you getting someone to do the leveling then you will have something to work with.