Cycle recommendation please

I'm a middle-aged female (ie not especially strong) and am looking for a new bike to encourage me to get back into cycling (around town, commuting and general holiday use). I haven't really cycled for 15 years but in my old cycling days I had a Claude Butler Majestic (touring bike) - which I loved and and thinking I'd like something similar. Key attributes are lightweight (< 13kg ) and with low gearing (down to low 20's), drop bars, room for mudguards and rack. Disc brakes would be good.

I'm thinking up to £800 but not really sure what that would get me. I found what looked perfect at Planet X (their 'London Road') but gearing was too high and they didn't have anything lower - shame.

Can anyone recommend something - there are so many bikes these days it's a bit overwhelming.

I'm a middle-aged female (ie not especially strong) and am looking for a new bike to encourage me to get back into cycling (around town, commuting and general holiday use). I haven't really cycled for 15 years but in my old cycling days I had a Claude Butler Majestic (touring bike) - which I loved and and thinking I'd like something similar. Key attributes are lightweight (< 13kg ) and with low gearing (down to low 20's), drop bars, room for mudguards and rack. Disc brakes would be good.

I'm thinking up to £800 but not really sure what that would get me. I found what looked perfect at Planet X (their 'London Road') but gearing was too high and they didn't have anything lower - shame.

Can anyone recommend something - there are so many bikes these days it's a bit overwhelming.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/claud-butler/malvern-2014-touring-bike-ec061591 maybe...no details of weight are shown though.

You would need to change the cassette to something with 32 teeth on the back to get the gearing you want, but the rear gear will take it, and its wouldn't cost the earth.

That Planet X gearing isn't far away from what you want, 28" lowest.

Edited by Bargepole23

The Cannondale synapse is recommended by cyclescheme (bike to work scheme). Slightly over budget at list price but is available cheaper and would be much less through cyclescheme. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-alloy-tiagra-womens-2015-road-bike-ec071057#features

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Synapse-Tiagra-6-Womens-2015-Road-Bike_73623.htm

Have you considered a triple chain set, this would give you plenty of gearing.

Plenty of bike shops around these days (Evans, James, Giant, Decathlon, Halfords, Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op, to name a few, plus Ribble on-line)

Shop around, I am sure you will find something!

You sound like you know a bit about bikes already and that is a useful start.

It depends what you want the bike for of course and you've clearly identified that it would be for use "around town", "commuting" and "holiday use". From this, I deduce that it will be ridden fairly regularly and if you are using it around Sheffield it will need to be good on hills. But also, you mentioned the "holiday" use - and I am assuming you may be wanting to carry things on it, like a rucksack or camping gear, or something for touring purposes?

If this is correct then I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good quality Touring Bike. The best of which, imo, is probably the "Dawes Galaxy". If you had a Claud Butler before you will appreciate the quality of the Dawes bike and it's similarities to the old Claud Butler brand.

I saw one in Evans Cycles a few weeks ago when I was looking at bikes. To be honest, I didn't even know they still made them.

I don't know about the price at all, but if you've got £800 to spend that should get you a good deposit if nothing else and I would really suggest it's worth shelling out a bit extra if needs be to get your Dawes bike. They are superb tourers with light frames and low gearing. Ideal for all round use as you describe, in this hilly terrain.

---------- Post added 21-06-2015 at 20:37 ----------

Here you go.. just found this..

http://www.cycle-street.co.uk/17459/products/dawes-galaxy-cromo-touring-bike.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CMWO6LbEocYCFWv3wgodXhMPlA

I'm surprised PX aren't flexible with the gearing, as they build them up themselves from components. If you really like that bike, go down and ask to see Craig, the road bike manager. He's a nice chap, helpful too.