Sign in to follow this  

Crookesmoor Road Barber Road 1970`s

New screenplay being written about Sheffield. Anyone out there remember Crookesmoor Rd Barber Rd Western Park from 1969 to 1973 ? Shop owners, pubs with live gigs, bikers. Please be in touch. Funding available if we can use profiles. Ta.

Some of this has already been discussed on the thread "Commonside".

The pubs of the area you mention would be the Star & Garter, Hatfield House and The Springvale. Several shops on Barber Road were discussed earlier.

I can help if u need to know anything.I have been around Commonside for the last 100 years.....at least it feels like it.:help:

New screenplay being written about Sheffield. Anyone out there remember Crookesmoor Rd Barber Rd Western Park from 1969 to 1973 ? Shop owners, pubs with live gigs, bikers. Please be in touch. Funding available if we can use profiles. Ta.

I remember the Springvale having a folk club in the back room although that might have been around '75.

Run by a geordie called "Macca"......

and we had to suffer "Monologue John".

I remember the Springvale having a folk club in the back room although that might have been around '75.

Run by a geordie called "Macca"......

and we had to suffer "Monologue John".

Macca - went onto run several successful clubs round the area and his own band "Counties" played all over the place ( I was the accordian player for a few years)

He now runs a promotions company in Leicestershire which includes working for the Tourist Board using an open top double decker bus - hell of a character.

Monologue John - yes the monologues did go on....but he was a nice guy - wouldnt harm a fly.

Sorry for digressing but does anyone remember the beer-off, in a row of shops by the Circular bus stop, by the Unity Church on Crookesmoor Road.

Can you remember the shopkeeper's name (Hepworth ?), he had one arm and his other sleeve draped into his pocket. He sold bottles of Newcastle Brown ale before it's fame spread.

Thanks all of you I am really pleased by your responses. I have only just joined so have not reviewed commonside but will do.

The story involves the early years of two kids one irish catholic and the other moslem. I remember that the moslems were arabs from beirut who frequented the South Snack Cafe. The hells angels from Informary road also hung out there drinking bad coffee from pyrex cups and saucers. Seems ironic now.

The Springvale had a live music club and also a heavy rock night - Deep Purple !

Does anyone remember the roof painted with `Hendrix Lives ` just behind the butchers at the bottom of Barber Road. Tall long haired guy lived there.

Please keep the comments and info coming.

Rocklegend Ta does my lengthy reply jog your aged memory ? Will sift everything and then maybe you would like to go over it with me. Was there a junk shop by the South Snack which sold old records ?

I lived above the Chinese Chippy half way up Barber Road in 1971. I remember the hunk who walked around in a daze he was about 6`6" tall. Can remember that the junk shop was owned by man and wife team and they were really nice.