Working Class Sheffield

I'm no expert in the class system but I would agree with this. However, looking at what comments other members have posted on here I have absolutely no idea what the hell is going off!

I have a degree, I work full time for a private company as a National Sales Executive and I also co-own a company that employs 10 men in the construction industry. I own two properties, one paid for and one with 9yrs left on the mortgage. I drive a 7yr old SEAT! and I shop at Sainsbury's and Aldi.

I find myself skint quite often, I can't remember the last time I went shopping to buy anything for myself, I constantly live on my credit card and I HAVE to work to pay my mortgage.

I class myself as working class, I come from a working class family. Father was a policeman and mother was a midwife until they retired 5yrs ago.

Sorry to break it to you but most would consider you middle class. On the key indicators, education, property ownership, profession, parents' professions, you're solidly lower middle class as a minimum.

Why some consider being working class a badge of honour and middle class something to almost be ashamed or embarrassed about I'm not sure. Everyone is just what they are and there's no need to get hung up on it either way.

This obsession with classification and stereotyping is uniquely British and the world mocks us for it.

That is notoriously false. Firstly, it is hardly mocked. At points it is openly celebrated.

Secondly, class is a human issue. As social animals we have a way of breaking ourselves down into groups and sub-groups, and sub-sub-groups, and all the inherent values and negatives that this has. India even built it into a form of religion with the notorious caste system. Class is an inherent political force in virtually all societies, and many people have built their ideologies on it.

Your statement is so fundamentally untrue.

Why some consider being working class a badge of honour and middle class something to almost be ashamed or embarrassed about I'm not sure.

Inverted snobbery. The same way some people would consider being called working class an insult. The Hyacinth Bucket school of thought.

Sorry to break it to you but most would consider you middle class. On the key indicators, education, property ownership, profession, parents' professions, you're solidly lower middle class as a minimum.

Why some consider being working class a badge of honour and middle class something to almost be ashamed or embarrassed about I'm not sure. Everyone is just what they are and there's no need to get hung up on it either way.

I'm not hung up on it at all..

I find it quite interesting to see where people think they stand in the British class system.

I honestly always thought people who HAVE to go out to work are working class. Middle class work but don't really have to, and maybe artists and writers are in the middle class bracket and then the upper class live in castles and live off of inheritance and go fox hunting! :hihi:

I find it quite interesting to see where people think they stand in the British class system.

I honestly always thought people who HAVE to go out to work are working class. Middle class work but don't really have to, and maybe artists and writers are in the middle class bracket and then the upper class live in castles and live off of inheritance and go fox hunting! :hihi:

The problem with that definition is it means about 95% of the population is working class, about 4% middle class and 1% upper class. It would also throw up anomalies, eg. people such as Wayne Rooney in either middle or upper class, and what about benefit claimants who don't "have to work"?

It's just not how most people see class and lumping such a wide range of people all into one class (from unskilled labourers with no property ownership through to GPs with expensive houses and a family background which means eventual inheritance) means it just isn't really any use for anything, e.g marketing, voting intentions, insurance, public resource deployment, etc. It is meaningless.

Edited by WiseOwl182

That isn't the common definition though. It's just one you've made up.

It's not very helpful if we all just make up non standard definitions for standard terms and phrases though... Nobody else will understand what you mean because to them middle class means something different.

It's not very helpful if we all just make up non standard definitions for standard terms and phrases though... Nobody else will understand what you mean because to them middle class means something different.

I think you are missing my point Cyclone. I don't get any of it! hence my own confusion.

What if you call it the ****ter?

Is having bread and dropping for tea after school at 4pm upper class then? Guess you can class it as a saaarndwich.

I think that's known as a S..t sandwich.

---------- Post added 09-06-2015 at 16:01 ----------

Or that some of the words can be used differently based on context and/or company.

Exactly - it's all irrelevant nowadays, but based on U and non U it still stands true.