New bus lane Cemetery Road / Boston Street

Is anyone else as puzzled as me at the arrival of a new bus lane on Boston Street at the bottom of Cemetery Road?

This new bus lane, which is there solely to stop left turning traffic, will be competing with a few others for being the shortest in Sheffield.

It's already a bus gate there, which operates from 8:00 am, so it seems to be a rather pointless waste of resources, increasing confusion, to add a bus lane that operates from 7:30 am.

Very odd.

Yes I was confused by this yesterday . Did you notice the times it's in operation ? I drove through about 2pm but realised after that maybe I shouldn't have .I was coming from Waitrose so had my eyes on traffic coming down Cemetery rd plus traffic Turing into and out of garage .Have they stopped everyone turning left at all times ?

It operates the usual bus lane times, starting from 7:30. Since I usually get there closer to 7:00 I will be okay, but on the odd occasion that I'm late I'll have to remember.

It just seems totally crazy since the bus gate there operates from 8:00 anyway.

Revenue stream? I've never been one to believe this, but it does make me think.

I have just read up about it on the CC site although nothing for 2015 .Seems they have changed it to 7.30 because they haven't been able to enforce the lane and people have still been using it haha .What a joke this council are .Another attempt to get the hard working person not to use their cars . The line of stood traffic trying to cross the junction will now be even longer therefore more air pollution .

I thought the bus gate had been out of commission for some time? Never really had much reason to go that way.

But it seems sensible to me. London Road gets busy. The last thing it needs is for people to jam it up further by trying to enter it only to turn left then left again, instead of going down Summerfield Street, to arrive at Moore Street Roundabout

Is anyone else as puzzled as me at the arrival of a new bus lane on Boston Street at the bottom of Cemetery Road?

This new bus lane, which is there solely to stop left turning traffic, will be competing with a few others for being the shortest in Sheffield.

It's already a bus gate there, which operates from 8:00 am, so it seems to be a rather pointless waste of resources, increasing confusion, to add a bus lane that operates from 7:30 am.

Very odd.

The new bus lane is a replacement for the old bus gate, which will be removed.

This is very annoying, I used to go this way every day but hardly ever even saw buses using this route. I cannot see any other easy alternative other than going down summerfield street and into the permanent jam at the bottom of Ecclesall road which would add time (and pollution) to my journey every day or find a shortcut from Psalter road to London road.

This is very annoying.

Job done then. Trebles all round.

If you come out of the garage intending to turn left, is there any advance notice of the bus lane and the hours it operates? I can't remember ever seeing one.

Edited by Melly07

If you come out of the garage intending to turn left, is there any advance notice of the bus lane and the hours it operates? I can't remember ever seeing one and have just got fined for driving merrily along the bus lane, not realising it was in operation. Harrumph.

There is a sign as the Bus Lane starts stating it's in operation Mon-Fri 7.30am-9.30am from what i remember.

The new bus lane is a replacement for the old bus gate, which will be removed.

...which benefits no one, but costs the council tax payer.

SCC planners are a complete joke. Id sack the lot of them

...which benefits no one, but costs the council tax payer.

SCC planners are a complete joke. Id sack the lot of them

Really?

I'd like to see London Road after a week of unplanned traffic all trying to get onto it at the bottom.

You think Summerfield Street/Ecclesall Road is bad?