Any oldies remember Marsdens Milk Bar on Pinstone Street?

Yes the Teenbar was on Heeley bottom opposite Gleadless Road. Then there was the Oak Tree at the bottom of Oak Street. Further up Chesterfield Road, just above Meersbrook Park Road, was the Jester - our favourite at the time.

Hard to imagine now how much of a revelation those coffee bars were to us teenagers in those days.

Seems strange now but at a time when you left school and started work at 15 you couldn't even see A films on your own till you were 16, and 18 to see an X film let alone go in a pub, to have our own places to gather with out adult supervision felt like the first big step to growing up..

Especially when you consider anyone can watch those same X films and far worse on your TV or PC today ....

Edited by grinder

I do ! It was the place to be for teenagers back then, it was downstairs from the milk bar, and I had to pluck up courage for weeks before I dare go in.

I remember Pat and Mick Moore the twins from Wybourn, not sure what happened to any of them though...

---------- Post added 22-02-2015 at 18:49 ----------

Hi Thorpy, yes the Jester was good although,the owners wouldn't stand any nonsense, great crowd here. Then after 9 o'clock down onto Abbeydale Road to the Flamingo, atmosphere not as good here though

I do ! It was the place to be for teenagers back then, it was downstairs from the milk bar, and I had to pluck up courage for weeks before I dare go in.

I remember Pat and Mick Moore the twins from Wybourn, not sure what happened to any of them though...

---------- Post added 22-02-2015 at 18:49 ----------

Hi Thorpy, yes the Jester was good although,the owners wouldn't stand any nonsense, great crowd here. Then after 9 o'clock down onto Abbeydale Road to the Flamingo, atmosphere not as good here though

Hi Applegrim, yes a great crowd in the Jester. I have good memories of you all in those good old innocent days.

The Teenbar in those days had quite a notorious reputation, but sometimes it didn't look quite so dangerous, because at times there used to be girl sat on one of the bench seats knitting. It took the edge off the atmosphere somehow! One of my mates nicknamed her Quick-knit!