Betrayal of murdered Police heroes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2703436/Betrayal-murdered-police-heroes-Fury-two-ex-Yard-chiefs-oppose-life-sentences-police-killers.html

I find this rich from two men that have never seen an angry man, never mind being prepared to protect members of the public at the risk of spoiling their illustrious careers by attracting a complaint from some nutter.

The Police are the thin blue line between peace and anarchy. If you diminish the value of any life it's a disgrace, but to diminish the value of the lives of those who protect us, is a step too far!

How long will it be before they're handing out community service for killing a betting office cashier, never mind a Bobby?

We should all be concerned about proposals like this one. The price of a life is rapidly losing any true value.

Edited by GuidoRose

How long will it be before they're handing out community service for killing a betting office cashier, never mind a Bobby?

The article is a complaint about police murderers not getting whole life tariffs. From that you start talking about community sentences. One person in the article has been in prison for nearly 50 years. There's a bit of a difference there if you can work it out.

Blair and Condon oppose the whole life tariff. Yes! I think it's the thin end of the wedge.

Taking any life is a grave matter...at this rate, given time, you'll be getting a fine through the post, for the worst crimes.

I don't think we should undervalue the cost of murder!!!

I'm trying to make the point that the powers that be, (the few) have their own agendas and it rarely reflects the values of the many.

Blair and Condon oppose the whole life tariff. Yes! I think it's the thin end of the wedge.

it's hardly the thin end of anything.

to the extent that the change to the law is a pr stunt by government then I do agree with them. to the extent that life imprisonment should, in general, mean pretty much the entire remainder of the guilty party's life regardless of who was killed, then I agree with that sentiment too.

The article is a complaint about police murderers not getting whole life tariffs. From that you start talking about community sentences. One person in the article has been in prison for nearly 50 years. There's a bit of a difference there if you can work it out.

I've never understood why the life of a police officer is deemed worth more than the life of any other person. Why should someone who kills a policeman get a more severe sentence than someone who, say, kills an accountant?

I've never understood why the life of a police officer is deemed worth more than the life of any other person. Why should someone who kills a policeman get a more severe sentence than someone who, say, kills an accountant?

I guess it's meant as a deterrent to the criminals from killing police officers, after all not many accountants have to confront criminals on a daily basis.

I guess it's meant as a deterrent to the criminals from killing police officers, after all not many accountants have to confront criminals on a daily basis.

Very well said.