Dog owners that walk in Endcliffe Park / Bingham - beware

A few days ago while I was walking my dogs in Bingham Park / Whitely Woods a man started chatting to me about my dogs. At first I though he was just being friendly. He asked if he could throw a stick and would he (my male dog) fetch it. I said you can try but he's not always that bothered. Then as I was trying to carry on my walk he carried on talking to me. Asking me about the breed etc. Talking about dog's characters, saying about having the have 'the upper hand' with them. Anyway there as just something about him which made me feel uneasy, so I hurried my two along and off we went.

Never thought anything else about it until I saw a lady in the park this morning who said she was in Endcliffe Park last night when a man started chatting, at first (like I did) she though he was just being friendly, then he started asking questions about her dog. Saying things like, "is he a pedigree" and "how much did you pay for him" and like me, she said she felt uneasy. His description sounded the same. It's not much to go on but he was probably in his 30's. Short dark hair, fairly nondescript looking. He had a dark blue coat on with red trim and was carrying a rucksack.

Just thought it was worth mentioning to people to be on the look out if you walk in these areas.

I often walk my dog through there. Never seen him though but thanks for the warning. It might be nothing, he could just have a genuine love of dogs but it won't hurt to be a bit more careful :)

No probs. I walk in both parks every day and I've never seen him around before either. I can't put my finger on what it was that was suspicious about him. But when I saw my friend this morning and she said exactly the same thing I thought it was worth a mention on here.

I don't walk there every day as I don't live close by but once a week or so I have a drive up there. Park at Forge Dam and walk through to Endcliffe Park and back. My dog isn't a pedigree though so he probably wouldn't approach me anyway.

thanks for the warning hun , its appreciated

I met this bloke maybe Friday last week in Bingham. Didn't follow me but wanted to throw sticks, talk about the dogs etc. He was quite polite. Didn't think much of it except it was odd to see someone in the park with a rucksack.

I met this bloke maybe Friday last week in Bingham. Didn't follow me but wanted to throw sticks, talk about the dogs etc. He was quite polite. Didn't think much of it except it was odd to see someone in the park with a rucksack.

Really? I don't think it's strange to have a rucksack. When I walk there with my dog, I always take my rucksack. It has her water bottle and dish in there and a sandwich for myself. Usually got a few tennis balls in there too along with my phone, car keys etc.

Unfortunately we get this a lot with 2 frenchies - people think that it's okay to ask how much they cost/ are they pedigree etc.

I wouldn't dream of asking how much someone else's pets/cars/clothes/houses cost!

I usually spin something off about them being on medications etc so they seem less desirable! it's horrible but it makes me feel a little better - i also try to walk them with my 6ft3 tattooed boyfriend who makes people stopping to chat a little less regular!

Thanks for the heads up though xx

I carry a rucksack as if i need my rain coat or anything extra dog related its there

It wasn't the fact that had the rucksack that was odd. I don't see that as odd either. Plenty of walkers go through Bingham and out to the Peaks, and most would carry a rucksack. The mention of it was purely to add to his description.

Unfortunately we get this a lot with 2 frenchies - people think that it's okay to ask how much they cost/ are they pedigree etc.

I wouldn't dream of asking how much someone else's pets/cars/clothes/houses cost!

I usually spin something off about them being on medications etc so they seem less desirable! it's horrible but it makes me feel a little better - i also try to walk them with my 6ft3 tattooed boyfriend who makes people stopping to chat a little less regular!

Thanks for the heads up though xx

I always make the point of mentioning ours is spayed and has a dodgy leg (she doesn't really), as we're frequently pestered by people asking if she's a worker etc.

I always stay well away from anyone of the 'travelling' persuasion as well, can't be too careful with lurchers. I know I'll probably get a load of bad comments but frankly I don't care. Thefts DO happen and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Having a big fella does help though :hihi: