Mental health services drastic cuts

Interesting that Self Directed Support was the new initiative being brought into play prior to the recession to replace the old system of social care whereby the local authority held the purse strings and decided which service would be provided to individuals requiring care and support. Although the idea was sound; giving people receiving care more control and choice, there is no longer the money needed to make it happen and actually choice has diminished because the finance is no longer there to be selective. When I say there is not enough money, this is patently untrue, there is more than enough money running throughout the financial system, just that it pools in the wrong places. I mean, if a city banker's yearly bonus (on top of their wage) amounts to millions, a portion of their bonus could maintain a high intensity carepackage or employ several social workers for decades to come.

Couldn't agree more.

Problem is no one seems able or willing to do anything about it, certainly not the politicians. The level of complacency in this country is staggering. We are going downhill so fast, soon there will be nothing left, but by the time people realise it, it will be too late.

As for the B12 argument, fair enough, but to be honest I think environmental / social issues are probably the biggest cause of mental health issues at the moment. Many people's lives are quite simply ****, and getting worse.

Trying and failing, struggling and getting nowhere, taking one step forward and two steps back and over again is enough to depress anyone. Needing help and receiving only approbation and criticism, being made to feel useless, worthless, and a pariah, being kicked when your down, and so on.... you only have to look at some of the comments on SF to see what I mean... Is it any wonder the suicide rate is at an all time high?

Hope is supposed to be the thing that keeps people going, and quite frankly a lot of people have simply no hope left. No wonder mental health workers are overwhelmed.

Edited by Anna B