Tinsley Rolling Mills

I wondered if any could help me as I am looking for some information about my granddad.

His name was John / Jack Littlewood

I know when he retired from work in the late 60's early 70's he took early retirement at 62 due to ill health and was working in the rolling mills

I remember him showing me an article in the paper which had a picture of him with the headline first man at Tinsley. I am not sure when this was as I was only a young girl then but I was always under the impression that it was he that rolled the first metal there, so I was a bit miffed to find that the rolling mills have been there since the 1800's.

I spoke to my aunties who are now in their late 70's about the article but they don't remember much about it only that they think it was in a free newspaper. I didn't think that we had The Journal or any news papers like that back in the 60's or early 70's but I could be wrong. They were not sure if it was when her retired but did go on to tell me that he was the head roller and that many years ago they said that The king visited (I think it was the king) and he should have been the one that met him but he was on a night shift and although management wanted him to change shifts he would not he said that he was on nights and so the day shift man should meet him as it was not fair on the day shift man to have to change shifts (he was a man of principle)

Anyway back to my original enquiry does anyone remember him or the article?

?

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 19:17 ----------

The headline in the paper may have been first man at Templebrough not Tinsley but not sure it is so long ago and was just a small girl

English Steel officially opened Tinsley Park steelworks in 1963 video The plant was biggest special steel plant in the UK.

Tinsley had two 120t furnaces in the melting shop at the south end.

The rolling mill was at the north end. On the same site was a bar mill and a spring shop and later in 1980 SMACC which still operates.

English Steel officially opened Tinsley Park steelworks in 1963 video The plant was biggest special steel plant in the UK.

Tinsley had two 120t furnaces in the melting shop at the south end.

The rolling mill was at the north end. On the same site was a bar mill and a spring shop and later in 1980 SMACC which still operates.

Thanks if the mill only opened in 1963 then he could have been the first man to roll steel there and although I don't think that what was in the paper could have been from 1963 as I would have been too young to remember it it could have been a tribute to him on his retirement.

looking at the link you put when the Duke visited this could have been what my aunties was saying about that he would not change shifts.

Do you know if there is any archive on the people that worked there anywhere

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 11:16 ----------

You should move this to History and ex pats section. But my dad worked down there and shall ask him if the name rings a bell.

not sure how to move it to another section but would be nice if your dad did remember him.

He lived in Shiregreen and also his daughter Maureen who was a twin worked in the wages dept.

Any information would be very nice.

From the mid 70s BSC Tinsley Park was managed from the smaller BSC Stocksbridge works. As it is still open there might be archives there. The pension office is still in Glasgow.

Sadly there appear to be few sources or sites which deal with BSC Tinsley Park which for twenty years was Sheffield's biggest special steel works.

There one on lock house Lane was called Tinsley Rolling Mill they rolled bars the one at Tinsley Park was cold rolling sheet mill I think not a hot mill

English Steel/ British Steel Tinsley Park was a hot mill, designed to roll ingots from the melting shop

It also rolled slabs and ingots from other plants heated in the soaking pits.

The products included bar, billets and rounds but never sheet.