Where would i find info regarding temporary moorland closures ?

What are the moors closed for, grouse shooting?

Aren't they supposed to be altering the drainage system over the area, to keep more water up on the hills and encourage more plant life to grow or something?????

---------- Post added 03-06-2014 at 14:49 ----------

Here it is, the restoration work on the high peak bogs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24162587

I'm in Bradfield and we have been hearing loud bangs (too loud for a shotgun) coming from Strines direction for a couple of days now. I was talking to a neighbour this morning, and it could be that they are bird scarers to move the grouse on before they burn that patch of heather. Just a theory.

I'm in Bradfield and we have been hearing loud bangs (too loud for a shotgun) coming from Strines direction for a couple of days now. I was talking to a neighbour this morning, and it could be that they are bird scarers to move the grouse on before they burn that patch of heather. Just a theory.

Ah ! that may well be it. I too heard a huge bang whilst up on Moscar Moor last weekend.

They are hunting haggis.

A number of haggis escaped from a nearby farm several years ago and as a result of having no natural predators in the area have reproduced to a point where they pose a threat to the indigenous wildlife.

The moorland agencies supported by other government departments are having a major cull. However, the killed haggis will be provided at a nominal cost to local pubs and restaurants to add to their menus.

They are hunting haggis.

A number of haggis escaped from a nearby farm several years ago and as a result of having no natural predators in the area have reproduced to a point where they pose a threat to the indigenous wildlife.

The moorland agencies supported by other government departments are having a major cull. However, the killed haggis will be provided at a nominal cost to local pubs and restaurants to add to their menus.

I'm glad you told me, I'm going up to net the neeps and tatties on my veg plot. I hear haggis (haggi?) are very fond of them.