Coping with the death of a much loved pet

Today we PTS our beloved GSD at the age of 9 years. To say we are distraught is an understatement. I had that once in a lifetime special relationship with my boy and know that we did everything we could for him. As humans we understand what has happened to our much loved boy. However, how do we help his lifetime buddy (also a GSD) cope with his demise?

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, I too lost my GSD last year he was 9 as well, he left a huge gap in my life, and nothing compares to that relationship I shared with him, he looked after me so much, so I know how you are feeling,

Its so sad for you, but nobody can explain to his buddy where he has gone, but I do think he will be ok animals see things differently to humans, just give him lots of attention which Im sure you are doing , you need each other at the moment.

Thank you for your kind words. As you know it's so hard to get through this horrible time. Miss him so much, he was the boss and the house is quiet without him.

So sorry for your loss. I don't have any advice - just empathy. Our great dane died many years ago, leaving the adult cat who had been with him since he was a 5 week old kitten. Our loss was agonizing ... but to see the cat roaming round the house desperately calling for his doggy friend was utterly heart breaking. It's stayed with me as one of the most painful animal experiences ever.

So so sorry to hear of your loss. X

I feel your pain. My 8 year old GSD is to be put to sleep in 10 days time. He has CDRM. Devastated doesn't even come close :( xx

Can't imagine what that must be like knowing all that time what is round the corner. Alfie has been gone now for 2 days and it's the worst feeling ever. Take the time you have left to cherish you dog, it'll give you great comfort in the weeks to come.

We stayed with Alfie right til the end and brought him home to sleep in his favourite spot in the garden.

My sincere condolences to you x

I feel your pain. My 8 year old GSD is to be put to sleep in 10 days time. He has CDRM. Devastated doesn't even come close :( xx

That's awful!....that would kill me knowing I only had 10 days left with him.bet your making the most of your time with him x

We haven't even got 10 days now. The wait is horrendous. The vet is hopefully coming out tomorrow:(

I know how you feel I lost my Xakita a little over 6 weeks ago (she was 15 and id had her 11years) and im still looking over my shoulder for her but I know it was the kindest thing to do in the end, it made it worse that for the first week after my cat went to the exact spot where her bed and cried every morning so obviously he was missing her too :(

Edited by na2009

We haven't even got 10 days now. The wait is horrendous. The vet is hopefully coming out tomorrow:(

Ahhh I'm so sorry :( can't even begin to imagine how your feeling.

lost my bull terrier when he was 15 y o had him from 8 weeks old,i was delivery driver at the time and he came with me,he muust have had a walk in every city in england.missed him terribly but foundpeace with fact he had along and happy life thats all we can do.got another b t now and he is just as spoilt