Combining UK and Islamic law

What you say is true but it is all a smoke screen. The fact is that the Law Society has issued guidance to solicitors to help them draw up wills that comply with the discriminatory requirements of Sharia law. Whether the resultant wills are legal or not is a moot point because the discrimination they seek to facilitate still flies in the face of this nation's equality principles, values and laws.

Shame on the greedy legal profession and shame on everyone else who is willing to turn a blind eye to discrimination and inequality just because it is done under the banner of religion.

Well unless you legislate and stop a person leaving their property to whoever they like and in whatever proportion they like then it isnt going to happen. Blame the person giving away their property and not the law.

What you say is true but it is all a smoke screen. The fact is that the Law Society has issued guidance to solicitors to help them draw up wills that comply with the discriminatory requirements of Sharia law. Whether the resultant wills are legal or not is a moot point because the discrimination they seek to facilitate still flies in the face of this nation's equality principles, values and laws.

Shame on the greedy legal profession and shame on everyone else who is willing to turn a blind eye to discrimination and inequality just because it is done under the banner of religion.

No, it is not discriminatory.

Yes, you are right that they have changed the wills to comply with requirements of the Sharia Law.

Ok. Thank you so much for clarifying too. That makes sense. :)

It also does not discriminate against the nation's equality principles, values or laws. If it is, then it would not have been written as guidance to begin with.

You also have to remember that there is no equality within this country whereby it is literal and equal for equal sake. It never has been at all. The Suffragettes were given an opportunity for a "voice". It does not mean and it does not imply that women needs to be men, and men needs to be women.

Edited by salsafan
:P

Well unless you legislate and stop a person leaving their property to whoever they like and in whatever proportion they like then it isnt going to happen. Blame the person giving away their property and not the law.

I do blame them and their religion. But it also sticks in the throat that the Law Society have issued guidance to solicitors so they can cash in by helping the religious to perpetuate their discriminatory, unjust nonsense. So much for having a code of conduct.

I do blame them and their religion. But it also sticks in the throat that the Law Society have issued guidance to solicitors so they can cash in by helping the religious to perpetuate their discriminatory, unjust nonsense. So much for having a code of conduct.

...and help their clients decide where they want their assets to go when they die.

Ok. Thank you so much for clarifying too. That makes sense. :)

Do you think things can be legal but still morally wrong?

I take it by the smilie that you think the discriminatory practices of Sharia law are OK? You think it is progressive and positive for the legal profession to help facilitate and perpetuate discrimination and inequality?

Think you are misguided on what the law society do and the guidance they issued.

No idea why you are talking about a code of conduct.

High street lawyers are very much the paupers of the legal profession.

Think you are misguided on what the law society do and the guidance they issued.

No idea why you are talking about a code of conduct.

High street lawyers are very much the paupers of the legal profession.

Hasn't the Law Society issued a practice note to advise solicitors on how to compile (discriminatory) Sharia compliant wills?

Solicitors also have a code of conduct don't they? It obliges them to comply with requirements set out in legislation? Well the Equalities Act is set out in legislation but they obviously don't think they need to comply with that when advising their clients on how to draft discriminatory Sharia compliant wills.

Hasn't the Law Society issued a practice note to advise solicitors on how to compile (discriminatory) Sharia compliant wills?

Solicitors also have a code of conduct don't they? It obliges them to comply with requirements set out in legislation? Well the Equalities Act is set out in legislation but they obviously don't think they need to comply with that when advising their clients on how to draft discriminatory Sharia compliant wills.

Its a guidance note which has no power and is not obligatory.

People can be as discriminatory as they want under English law in giving their property to whoever they want and in whatever proportion they want, alhough there are a few safeguards for dependants.

I dont believe the equalities act applies to private individuals disposing of their own property.

What is discriminatory about me deciding "I absolutely cannot stand my lying, thieving sister" and as a result, writing a will to the effect of " As I have no spouse to inherit my estate, to my sister X, I leave nothing. To my sister Y, i leave my entire estate!"

Its a guidance note which has no power and is not obligatory.

People can be as discriminatory as they want under English law in giving their property to whoever they want and in whatever proportion they want, alhough there are a few safeguards for dependants.

I dont believe the equalities act applies to private individuals disposing of their own property.

Yeah, yeah, we've establised that it is probably legal (I'm no expert) but it doesn't make it right. Sharia law is offensive to most people and solicitors who help Muslims facilitate their discriminatory nonsense aren't that much better than the Muslims doing it.

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 19:29 ----------

What is discriminatory about me deciding "I absolutely cannot stand my lying, thieving sister" and as a result, writing a will to the effect of " As I have no spouse to inherit my estate, to my sister X, I leave nothing. To my sister Y, i leave my entire estate!"

The fact that there will be circumstances where a will is drafted that complies with Shria law without discriminating doesn't change the fact that Sharia law promotes discrimination.