Removing a wall- need advice from a professional

Phil strange structural engineer 07785295152 He's done lots of calcs for me in past

I don't think he needs a strange structural engineer, a normal one would do :hihi:

Thanks. It is a brick wall with no wall upstairs, we guessed at it supporting joists but better to gwt someone to give us the right advice. Didn't expect it to cost that much. Mac do you give certificate for building regs?

Building Control sign off the job. The usual procedure is to get a structural engineer to inspect and spec the job. The spec is submitted to building control who must be advised 48 hrs (usually) before work commences. They will advise at what stage they wish to inspect. ( They presume that someone who knows what they are doing will get it to to the said stage.) They may make certain requests at this stage, such as fire and insulation requirements, depending on the job. They may want to re inspect the completed job. The fee for Building Control (without me checking latest prices) is about £180-200 for a project such as this.

The fact that you have already removed a chimney breast "and supported it" whilst you have been in this property and not know any of the above, is worrying.

Edited by handypandy

Building Control sign off the job. The usual procedure is to get a structural engineer to inspect and spec the job. The spec is submitted to building control who must be advised 48 hrs (usually) before work commences. They will advise at what stage they wish to inspect. ( They presume that someone who knows what they are doing will get it to to the said stage.) They may make certain requests at this stage, such as fire and insulation requirements, depending on the job. They may want to re inspect the completed job. The fee for Building Control (without me checking latest prices) is about £180-200 for a project such as this.

The fact that you have already removed a chimney breast "and supported it" whilst you have been in this property and not know any of the above, is worrying.

Oh Dear seems we have a bodger let loose./ Sounds like they need life ins as well as buldings ins. :hihi::

Just a couple of things you should note with your proposed and carried out works:

1. The chimney breast removal should have had a Building Regs certificate unless it was fully removed from top to bottom. The insertion of steelwork as support is controllable work and as such requires certification.

2. Regardless of whether the wall between the hallway and lounge is loadbearing or not you will still need Building Regulations as you are opening the lower floor onto the staircase therefore forming all the upstairs rooms as inner rooms (alteration to Approved Document B - Means of Escape). If you do this you will need certification and at least one window to each of the upper floor habitable rooms will need to be suitable for Means of Egress.

3. Speak to the Building Control department - if you ask nicely I'm sure one of their inspectors may come and see you to discuss the work.

:thumbsup:

Just a couple of things you should note with your proposed and carried out works:

1. The chimney breast removal should have had a Building Regs certificate unless it was fully removed from top to bottom. The insertion of steelwork as support is controllable work and as such requires certification.

2. Regardless of whether the wall between the hallway and lounge is loadbearing or not you will still need Building Regulations as you are opening the lower floor onto the staircase therefore forming all the upstairs rooms as inner rooms (alteration to Approved Document B - Means of Escape). If you do this you will need certification and at least one window to each of the upper floor habitable rooms will need to be suitable for Means of Egress.

3. Speak to the Building Control department - if you ask nicely I'm sure one of their inspectors may come and see you to discuss the work.

Many thanks for the advice. Were not a bodger, call it naieve and now we know we should have been doing these things, we are on to it :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 27-01-2014 at 11:58 ----------

Oh Dear seems we have a bodger let loose./ Sounds like they need life ins as well as buldings ins. :hihi::

Yes your right, it is rather worrying, DIY ers eh!! string us up!!

I dont provide a cert as has been said the local auth inspector signs of the work done but i will guarantee my work and have done loads of this type of work over the years txt me and i will pop round and discuss it with you