Lone working parent help with costs and childcare

My daughter and her partner are seperating , they have a 17 month old baby . At present they both work and share childcare. We have been fortunate enough as a family never to have had to claim benefits. My daughter would like to continue to work , but not sure she will be able . The house is private rent and on her own wage couldn't pay that . Please someone tell me she can keep her independence and get help with living costs. Where do we start , advice centre, Dss???.

I think her best bet would be trying with the advice centre or checking the government website.

tell her to have a look on entitled to.com

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Have a look at the benefits calculator At turn2us.org.uk you input all your details an it tells you everything she will be entitled to. She should get help with her being a single working mum but it all depends on hours and wages Xx

She will hopefully get significant tax credits towards childcare costs as a single parent. When I earned £900 per month (full time employment) tax credits covered about 75% of the nursery bill. Her partner should also pay something towards their child, which should help, and child benefit accounts for another £80ish per month.

She may be able to claim some housing benefit too. But the amount of rent used for the calculation will almost certainly be reduced if she stayed in the house - she'd be considered over-accommodated if it is just her and a 17 month old child.

Thanks for your help everyone , i have done the directgov advice form and it looks like she may be able to claim things . I would love my daughter and grandchild to live with us , but know it would be better for them to stay in their own home.

I know friends in similar situations and they get financial help with working/child tax credits towards childcare costs.

It depends on how many hours your daughter works as to what she will be entitled to.

If your daugther goes on the tax credits calculator, this will tell her how much she is entitled.

http://taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx

-x-

My daughter and her partner are seperating , they have a 17 month old baby . At present they both work and share childcare. We have been fortunate enough as a family never to have had to claim benefits. My daughter would like to continue to work , but not sure she will be able . The house is private rent and on her own wage couldn't pay that . Please someone tell me she can keep her independence and get help with living costs. Where do we start , advice centre, Dss???.

Sorry but if they have a 17 month old baby they shouldn't be separating. The child's needs should come first and, unless it's an abusive relationship, the parents should stay together.

Just a small query but what is the absent parent being asked to pay? It took two people to bring the child into existance so surely they should both be responsible for the costs in bringing up the child.

Sorry but if they have a 17 month old baby they shouldn't be separating. The child's needs should come first and, unless it's an abusive relationship, the parents should stay together.

Because parents staying together in a relationship they don't want to be in would create such a better environment for the child, wouldn't it?

Because parents staying together in a relationship they don't want to be in would create such a better environment for the child, wouldn't it?

Two adults should be able to put the needs of the child before the needs of themselves.