Sign in to follow this  

Question about Final Year Tuition Fees

I am a full time student at Hallam University and was just wondering whether tuition fees are the same (plus inflation) as in years 1 and 2? I am entitled to less of a loan but don't know if my fees are reduced aswel? Can anybody help?? :help::thumbsup:

Thanks in advance

The final summer loan was always lower as it was not meant to cover you over the summer months (like it would have done anyway...) - whereas after graduation you can move straight onto the dole, the finishing school of many of my contemporaries during recession. :rolleyes:

do tuition fees differ?

They don't differ because you are going into the third year, but they do go up with 'inflation' as they do every year. So, to answer your question no your fees aren't reduced in your final year.

the max tuition fees for 2005/6 are £1175, (they go up £25 per year)

so if your LEA aren't paying them for you that's how much you owe

I don't owe anything as I've already paid 05/06... Just wondered for next year.

Looks like I'm facing £1200 fees then... from a £2500 loan. Hmmm finding somewhere to live with that leftover £1300 should be fun considering I have to live as well... Bloody system :rant:

EDIT: Ooops I'm logged in as Vini instead of Sheff_Minx

Another quick question: Will my final year loan still paid in 3 installments or is it only paid in two because it doesn't cover summer? :help:

for 2006/2007 u can apply for a loan to pay your student fees , new starters have £3000 fees to pay. i dont know if its applies to all existing students as well.

"Old System" students can apply for a tuition fee loan aswel (although only up to the amount of their assessed contribution) as fees are to be paid in one go in September rather than installments. This money is paid directly to the University by the SLC.

Just wondered whether maintainance loans (as the main loan is now called) for final year students are paid in the usual 3 installments, or just two?

Having thought about it, I think the top-up fees system actually makes more sense than the old system as, although students will end up in more debt, their maintainance loan is left entirely free to be spent on accommodation, food, booze etc, whilst the bulk of mine went on paying my tuition fees leaving very little to pay for food...

"Old System" students can apply for a tuition fee loan aswel (although only up to the amount of their assessed contribution) as fees are to be paid in one go in September rather than installments. This money is paid directly to the University by the SLC.

Just wondered whether maintainance loans (as the main loan is now called) for final year students are paid in the usual 3 installments, or just two?

Having thought about it, I think the top-up fees system actually makes more sense than the old system as, although students will end up in more debt, their maintainance loan is left entirely free to be spent on accommodation, food, booze etc, whilst the bulk of mine went on paying my tuition fees leaving very little to pay for food...

Hi Sheff_minx, it's paid in the usual three installments, I think it's only the final one which is reduced though rather than spreading the reduction across all three.

Hi Sheff_minx,

Am in fiinal year at Hallam..... You still get three installments, but the final one (April) is half the usual amount a first or second year would get.

Lou x