Shooting advice needed for rats under chicken coop

Thanks for that, I knew it was one of the two, picked the wrong one, it's an age thing.

Angel.

---------- Post added 22-06-2013 at 17:01 ----------

Oh crikey, second mistake I've made in one post. Should be 50 FEET. It's an age thing.

"In England & Wales it is an offence without lawful authority or reasonable excuse to discharge any firearm within fifty feet of the centre of a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway, and in consequence a user of the carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered."

Angel.

An air weapon is only classed as a firearm if it fires at more than 12 ft pounds, if it does then you require a firearms certificate (F.A.C) which not easy to obtain.

I had a rat problem a couple of years ago. Tried trapping them but there were too many to be really effective. I keep my chickens in a large run and there were rat holes in 2 places. I put rat boxes baited with 0.005% difenacoum in four stations around the run including the entry points. 2 weeks later the rats were gone. I found one dead rat in the run on one occasion and the chickens weren't interested in it. I didn't see (or smell) any sign of the others. I keep the boxes topped up every now and again and haven't had a problem since. Chickens all healthy

An air weapon is only classed as a firearm if it fires at more than 12 ft pounds, if it does then you require a firearms certificate (F.A.C) which not easy to obtain.

Now then now then, to we mortals what you say is almost right, but if you are apprehended on private land with your air gun (sub 12 foot pounds) you can still be done for having a firearm - I believe.

As for the F.A.C, not too difficult to obtain, provided you meet the lawful criteria to hold one. I had no bother for more than 30 years.

Angel.

Now then now then, to we mortals what you say is almost right, but if you are apprehended on private land with your air gun (sub 12 foot pounds) you can still be done for having a firearm - I believe. Angel.

You would more than likely be prosecuted but an air rifle is only classed as a firearm if fires at over 12 foot pounds.

As for the F.A.C, not too difficult to obtain, provided you meet the lawful criteria to hold one. I had no bother for more than 30 years.

I also use to hold an F.A.C 20+ years ago, today it is more difficult and stricter procedures as to where and how the gun locker is situated, I certainly wouldn't get away with a locker bolted to my bedroom wall

• 3 weeks later...