Wire Mill Dam, Porter Valley

Hi, Has anyone any recollections of the year, a sad case of a woman committing suicide in the Wire Mill Dam? I think it would possibly have been around 1960.

Hmm well before my time! But i'm intrested as i've speant many years there when i used to live in Fulwood!

I lived on Whiteley woods road and I remember this happening, Not sure of the date but 1960ish. Was she from the clinic nearby ?

Hi greengiant. I lived at the the other end of the Woods, and my friends in the Valley. 

None of us remember this incident! Only the murder of a little girl by her Mother, in

front of the Boulsover Monument at Wire Mill. I believe her Mother was mentally ill!

Hi Heartshome, do you know when this murder took place ?

I think there were a number of incidents associated with Whiteley Wood Clinic over the valley from the dam which was a psychiatric unit

I sent to school with the murdered girl. I used to call for her each morning as we walked to Fulwood School. On the day in question her mother told me she wasn’t going in that day. It was in either 1952 or 53.

Hi Millhouses. Had a word with my friend who knew about this. 

Apparently! her Mother had become a totally obsessed Religious fanatic.

On the day in question, she took her little girl and murdered her, because the voices in her head

'told her to'.  After she had killed her, she simply carried on as normal and went to work.

I recall falling into it circa 1950, my late grandfather jumped in to save me, I was 3.