NHS 111 experiences

Hello all

I just wondered whether anybody had had any experience of using the new NHS 111 service.

I am Liam Ward, a journalist currently based in Leeds. I am currently researching a story about the NHS’s new 111 service in Yorkshire, and as a former Sheffield resident and SF user I thought this would be a great place to try and gauge people's experience of the service so far. If anybody has any experiences they would like to share (good or bad), please do so in this thread or please contact me by any of the means below.

I am an Editor at a local newspaper, my contact is music@leedsstudent.org ; alternatively my freelance work e-mail is liam.ward@journalist.com.

Please don't hesitate to ask me for any more information.

It's replaced and/or is replacing the old NHS Direct telephone service and is intended as a number to ring for advice in non-emergency situations. 111 is to 999 in health cases as 101 is to 999 in crime cases. It is quite different to the old system and I am interested to see what people who are using it/have used think of it?

Confused.

999 clear simple. Have a emergency, fire, accident, major injury or crime.

Used probably twice in 40 years.

NHS Direct. Never used. Emergency refer to above, non emergency go to Docs or walk in centre.

111 as above.

101 never used, if I have a non emergency police matter I ring the police station or call in.

The 101 is useful for general queries, as I rang them yesterday to report a hole that had appeared in the road.

I've used NHS Direct in the past, but they weren't helpful! I never knew about 111, but I'll keep it in mind.

I phoned NHS direct and a message gave 111 as alternate number to call, then the line went dead.

On calling 111 within 3mins they arranged an emergency ambulance for my daughter, the advisor said did I want to stay on the line with him until the ambulance got there, Isaidno because I needed to get all my daughters medication together and lock our 3 dogs up. About a minute later I received a call from the ambulance services advising me that they were 4mins away.

I would call 111 again, they seem to be just the NHS direct but under a different number.

At the point of calling 111 within those 3mins my daughter's health changed dramatically. Hence not having time to get her to the doctor or walk in centre or even calling 999 myself.

Edited by 172-125

I phoned NHS direct and a message gave 111 as alternate number to call, then the line went dead.

On calling 111 within 3mins they arranged an emergency ambulance for my daughter, the advisor said did I want to stay on the line with him until the ambulance got there, Isaidno because I needed to get all my daughters medication together and lock our 3 dogs up. About a minute later I received a call from the ambulance services advising me that they were 4mins away.

I would call 111 again, they seem to be just the NHS direct but under a different number.

At the point of calling 111 within those 3mins my daughter's health changed dramatically. Hence not having time to get her to the doctor or walk in centre or even calling 999 myself.

I hope your daughter is OK now!

It sounds like you've had a positive experience with the new service. Do you mind if I send you a PM?