Birley Estate.The early Years.

Hi Palman,I knew Quite a few of the names you mentioned,but they were all younger than me.I used to go around with Keith Brameld,who is Dougs older Brother.George Lupton lived just down the road from us on Birley moor Way.When we first went to live up there (1952) the School didn't exist,it was a field full of cows.Janet Aldis's Father was the Water board man for the area,they lived on Thornbridge Road.I remember Don Mayo,who ufotunately died

a few years ago,I dont think he was that old either.

Keith

Yes quite right,I can remember Don Mayo saved me from being thrown in river trent by some forest supporters.When we first moved to Birley we was bussed to Ridgeway school till schools on Birley were built,we used to play football every sunday with Doug and probably his brother,my age is 68 so how close to that are you.

Hi Palman,I am 5 years older than you,did you used to play Football on the field at the bottom of birley Avenue?.Dougs other Brother is Ken.I used to help out on the Farm at the top of Birley moor Drive & one night a Chap who lived across from us,came over to our house.(his name was Speed),he used to run the Birley Juniors football,& Said "there's a Chap at his house wanting to borrow a Scythe,to cut the grass on the field at the bottom for the Lads to use,can you come & have a word with him?"

I went over to his house with him,was shown into the Lounge and was Gobsmacked to see Derek Dooley sitting there.Even though i was & still am a Blades supporter,i had a nice chat with him & the next day went down with the Tractor & mower & cut it for him.

Hi Palman,I am 5 years older than you,did you used to play Football on the field at the bottom of birley Avenue?.Dougs other Brother is Ken.I used to help out on the Farm at the top of Birley moor Drive & one night a Chap who lived across from us,came over to our house.(his name was Speed),he used to run the Birley Juniors football,& Said "there's a Chap at his house wanting to borrow a Scythe,to cut the grass on the field at the bottom for the Lads to use,can you come & have a word with him?"

I went over to his house with him,was shown into the Lounge and was Gobsmacked to see Derek Dooley sitting there.Even though i was & still am a Blades supporter,i had a nice chat with him & the next day went down with the Tractor & mower & cut it for him.

Yes I used to play football there,houses on it now,I too used to work on that farm,Jim Rhodes was the farmer then,he used to have another one I worked on occasionally at Lightwood,only did after school and weekends and holidays though,houses where that farm used to be.Do you still live on Birley,I moved to Nottinghamshire.Used to go in Frecheville Hotel regular.The shops on that street if I remember right were Scrivens fish and chips,Donnelans,fruit shop which was run by Mrs Donnelans nephew Leon,a butchers and co-op.

Hi Palman,you must have taken over from me at the Farm,we used to go down to Lightwood Spud picking & Turnip pulling.I spent many hours down there on my own.Ploughing Harrowing etc.Did Roy Plattts & Malcolm (A.K.A Slash) work Full time for Jim when you were there?I like yourself worked after School Weekends & Hollidays.I used to work it on my own (Milking,Feeding stock etc) at Xmas when others were off.Jim & Mrs Rhodes treat me like a Son.Jim wanted to pay for me to go to Agricultural College,but my Parents wouldn't let me go,they reckoned there was no future in Farming.Did they still have Jewel the Carthorse when you were there? what a cantancerous beast that was.I live on Frecheville now,near the Pond.

Regards Keith.

Hi Palman,you must have taken over from me at the Farm,we used to go down to Lightwood Spud picking & Turnip pulling.I spent many hours down there on my own.Ploughing Harrowing etc.Did Roy Plattts & Malcolm (A.K.A Slash) work Full time for Jim when you were there?I like yourself worked after School Weekends & Hollidays.I used to work it on my own (Milking,Feeding stock etc) at Xmas when others were off.Jim & Mrs Rhodes treat me like a Son.Jim wanted to pay for me to go to Agricultural College,but my Parents wouldn't let me go,they reckoned there was no future in Farming.Did they still have Jewel the Carthorse when you were there? what a cantancerous beast that was.I live on Frecheville now,near the Pond.

Regards Keith.

Hi Keith - do you remember Pete Atkinson and Brian Callaghan from those days? I once remember going spud picking with my mother and neighbours in the top fields, up Birley Lane on the right, i would have been about five at the time, it must have been around bonfire night as i set the edge alight playing with coloured matches (remember them) Jimmy blamed Roy and gave him a right rollockin. Did you know that Mimmy (Jimmys wife) was related to granny Smith the geography teacher at Birley. Had some good times there before they moved to Lightwood.

Regards Keith.

No I dont remember the names of the full time farmhands,I cant remember Jewel either,nice chap Jim was,but he was forever trying to get us with his electric fences.I rememember farmer Foxy down Birley Lane,forever chasing us out of Birley woods,never caught us though.Spent many an hour round that pond,I dont think we were allowed to fish it at that time.Smalldale,community centre,St Cyprians,Hopefield,Silkstone and of course Birley Hotel are things I remember about Frecheville.I lived on Thornbridge Road and my name is Ray Stocks,I knew a few people from up the road as we used to call it

No I dont remember the names of the full time farmhands,I cant remember Jewel either,nice chap Jim was,but he was forever trying to get us with his electric fences.I rememember farmer Foxy down Birley Lane,forever chasing us out of Birley woods,never caught us though.Spent many an hour round that pond,I dont think we were allowed to fish it at that time.Smalldale,community centre,St Cyprians,Hopefield,Silkstone and of course Birley Hotel are things I remember about Frecheville.I lived on Thornbridge Road and my name is Ray Stocks,I knew a few people from up the road as we used to call it

Hi Ray - I had just worked out who you were and you go and print your name. i wracked my brain thinking who you might be off Thornbridge Road (30) and your name was the only one that fitted, does the name Palman come from where you used to work?

Hi Ray - I had just worked out who you were and you go and print your name. i wracked my brain thinking who you might be off Thornbridge Road (30) and your name was the only one that fitted, does the name Palman come from where you used to work?

Yes I was a palletiser operator at work. I am at a disadvantage not seeing your posts. Give me a clue to who you are and see if I can work out who you are.

Yes I was a palletiser operator at work. I am at a disadvantage not seeing your posts. Give me a clue to who you are and see if I can work out who you are.

Motor Bike and sidecar, Steel fixing, 4 in total second from the first.

Motor Bike and sidecar, Steel fixing, 4 in total second from the first.

Norman Lupton.?

---------- Post added 16-04-2013 at 20:43 ----------

Norman Lupton.?

Or Geoffrey.

Norman Lupton.?

---------- Post added 16-04-2013 at 20:43 ----------

Or Geoffrey.

Spot on Ray, Geoff here

Spot on Ray, Geoff here

Me and George had some great times.