Car advice - Peugeot 206 problems

Hi, hoping someone that knows about cars could give me a bit of advice about a few things that have gone wrong with my car. Hoping for best and worst case scenarios (moneywise) if thats possible!

1) Horn stopped working. (The car had this problem when I bought it in Dec 2011, the dealer sorted it but had to order a part, if that helps?)

2) Reverse lights stopped working. Could just be a bulb, but Ive been told theres a switch or something that often goes on Peugeots.

3) The other morning it struggled to start, I presumed it was a battery/electrical problem as I had to reset the clock and date etc after.

4) The box bit on the exhaust is really rusty, one of the brackets looks like it wont last much longer. Exhaust isnt blowing or anything (yet!)

Hi Nikki,

1) Horn stopped working. (The car had this problem when I bought it in Dec 2011, the dealer sorted it but had to order a part, if that helps?)

Could be a fuse or the horn itself. It's essentially just two wires going from the horn push to the fuse box to the horn under the bonnet. Easiest thing to check is the fuse as this is only a 2 minute job.

2) Reverse lights stopped working. Could just be a bulb, but Ive been told theres a switch or something that often goes on Peugeots.

It could be the bulb, but if it's the switch it is usually on the gearbox. It's usually a cheap fix if it's easily accesible.

3) The other morning it struggled to start, I presumed it was a battery/electrical problem as I had to reset the clock and date etc after.

Did you have to jump start it? Was it slow to turn over? Usually if the date and time need resetting it's because the battery has gone very flat (too flat to turn the starter motor over).

4) The box bit on the exhaust is really rusty, one of the brackets looks like it wont last much longer. Exhaust isnt blowing or anything (yet!)

You could have it welded, but it's false economy. It shouldn't be too expensive to have a new back box fitted at a local cheap exhaust place.

You're welcome :).

The horn isn't important as such, but it is an MOT failure if it isn't working. Do you know how to check the fuse it have anyone who can check it for you?

How has the car been since it had trouble starting? It might be worth taking it to someone who does battery testing and get it "drop" tested (they test how much the battery drops by when the engine is being cranked over) and test with various electrics on and off while the car is running to see if the alternator is working properly. If they say that the battery needs replacing, then don't get charged the earth!

There are cheaper ways of getting a battery. Sadly I don't have a drop tester but I can test the charging rate. I can also get a cheap battery lol.

The back box if it's hanging down wants lookin at really. If it's solid then it shouldn't be too bad for a bit.

I think Ill just take it to a garage and get the lot sorted at once (bang goes my birthday money lol)

Its actually been fine since since it struggled, and the back box seems solid enough, there was a flap of rusty metal hanging down, which looked to me like part of a bracket. Its all very rusty though.