Drummers of Sheffield!

I have a question if I may, something thats been on my mind for eons!

When you started drumming, did it come natural to you, or did you have to really work at it?

Reason I ask is because of the left hand / left foot and right hand / right foot combo. I always struggle to separate them when just trying to tap out on a desk or something to a song.

If you had issues with the coordination, how did you over come them?

Thanks for your input :)

Thousands of hours of practice. No way round it

Try and have a few lessons at the start to learn the basics. Then, like the above poster says, it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

Saying that, I haven't really played for a couple of years so I'm hoping its also like riding a bike.......

angry dog are you wanting to join a band..we need a drummer for our sheffield band?

angry dog are you wanting to join a band..we need a drummer for our sheffield band?

If I could play the drums then I'd of considered it, but this was more just a question to see how people over came the co-ordination difficulties.

The trouble is, or the good thing about it really, is that as soon as you get one thing in drumming you move on to the next thing you want to get. Well, it's like that for me anyway

I agree, practice... Start with simple grooves, at a slow tempo, then when you master them to perfection, speed up... Then practice a more complex pattern, again, slow at first.

Having lessone will definatelly help...

I only ever came across one person who couldn't get it. I can get most people playing a basic rock beat within ten minutes. The rest is down to practice. I am right-handed and left-footed, which causes the odd issue. I wonder how much better by bass pedal technique would be on my better foot.

I agree with the above..practice doesn't necessarily make perfect, but it makes things easier. I've been playing 36 years, and I still tie my arms in knots trying to play things that I haven't tried before!

I remember first couple of weeks thinking 'why did I give up bass' ! Just practice mate, get hh going, add bass drum on 1&3 then stick snare in on 2&4, take it nice and slow and keep working on it, and don't give up :D

I mainly play guitar, but recently I bought a kit and started trying to learn drums. I am getting there just struggling to get up to the speed and stamina required to play my favourite type of music: fast punk music. I find it really hard, but it's also fun.