For those people that drive everywhere at 40mph

The speed limit in built up areas is 30 mph.

On the open road you can, where conditions allow and it is safe to do so, drive at up to 60 mph.

Please take time to read this, and while you're doing it, and until you understand, just stay off the road, will you?

Sadly on nearly all of the open roads around Sheffield you are now allowed to do a maximum of 50 mph thanks to our council.

You mean like the Snake?

1. That's in Derbyshire you clown!

2. And it's because 60 mph isn't safe.

If you mean the Parkway, it's to step people down from 70 [on the motorway and Rotherham section] first to 50, then to 40, and then to 30 to prepare you for urban driving.

You mean like the Snake?

If you mean the Parkway, it's to step people down from 70 [on the motorway and Rotherham section] first to 50, then to 40, and then to 30 to prepare you for urban driving.

1. Not until you get past Strines it's not. It used to be 60 until past Hollow Meadows.

2. 60 mph is perfectly safe for most people in most conditions across the whole of snake.

3. No part of the parkway has a 60 mph limit ....you clown.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

1. Not until you get past Strines it's not. It used to be 60 until past Hollow Meadows.

2. 60 mph is perfectly safe for most people in most conditions across the whole of snake.

3. No part of the parkway has a 60 mph limit ....you clown.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I never said it did - like I said the Parkway is 70mph in the Rotherham section - i.e. the national speed limit for dual carriageways.

---------- Post added 28-03-2013 at 07:11 ----------

not sure weather to start a thread;

'to all those who drive at 30mph in a 30 mph limit- i'm nonplussed '

is it worth doing do you think?

30 mph? Where can you ever get up to 30 mph in Sheffield?

- You might average 10 mph in daytime if you're lucky!

I never said it did - like I said the Parkway is 70mph in the Rotherham section - i.e. the national speed limit for dual carriageways.

---------- Post added 28-03-2013 at 07:11 ----------

- You might average 10 mph in daytime if you're lucky!

I used to get 85 on the viaduct every day twice a day, wait I mistyped I meant 70, er 45? 50 no wait I never went over 10mph you was right first time ;)

You mean like the Snake?

No, I mean pretty much every main road that heads out of Sheffield and used to be NSL until a year or two ago, like the A61 from Grenoside towards Birdwell, the road between Chapeltown and Hoyland, the A57 out to Ladybower (which isn't the Snake and isn't in Derbyshire), the road between Stocksbridge by-pass and the Flouch etc. etc. All of them downgraded. All of them driven safely at between 50 and 60mph for many years before that by countless drivers.

But if you're going to add Derbyshire into the equation, almost every main road in the Peak District as well.

Edited by metalman

Quite a lot of places, Sheffield is a big place with a lot of roads, saying you can't get to 30mph anywhere in Sheffield at any time is a bit of a silly comment.

However I do agree with your original point. These drivers are usually found out and about on a Sunday and usually driving around the peak district ;)

The speed limit in built up areas is 30 mph.

On the open road you can, where conditions allow and it is safe to do so, drive at up to 60 mph.

Please take time to read this, and while you're doing it, and until you understand, just stay off the road, will you?

There are some built up areas where 30 is far too fast. Lots of housing estates now have 20 mph signs - probably because some drivers see 30 as meaning they must drive at 30! Surely people should drive within the limits according to conditions?

Sheffield has lots of narrow streets of terraced housing with cars parked nose to tail on both sides. Driving along some of those at 30mph is madness, yet people do it. It just needs a child or pet to run between two cars for an accident to happen. :shakes: