Making digital images look like film.

chrisp7091

Recently, I've been thinking that a lot of my digital shots look quite characterless. Technically, they are great - razor sharp and clear, but they lack the mood and 'feeling' I get when using film.

I don't think post processing digital is a complete solution - that would be to only use film. I thought I'd give it a go though. Here are some images with Kodachrome presets applied in Lightroom. What do you think:

8500340175_90d1026b59_b.jpg

8501448360_85ecdc6cef_b.jpg

8500340515_88761a6571_b.jpg

All taken at Dam Flask nr Bradfield.

Recently, I've been thinking that a lot of my digital shots look quite characterless. Technically, they are great - razor sharp and clear, but they lack the mood and 'feeling' I get when using film.

I don't think post processing digital is a complete solution - that would be to only use film.

I recall a thread on Luminous Landscape a few years back with folks talking about how digital couldn't capture the feel of film. I posted some shots and they were praised for showing exactly what they meant as digital didn't have that certain something.

Except all shots were taken on my small sensor pocket camera. :D

Film can look great, it can also look really crap, same goes for digital. All depends on how you shoot and process images and you can do wonderful things with LR + PS.

I thought I'd give it a go though. Here are some images with Kodachrome presets applied in Lightroom. What do you think:

Don't have that icky digital look, so :thumbsup:

I recall a thread on Luminous Landscape a few years back with folks talking about how digital couldn't capture the feel of film. I posted some shots and they were praised for showing exactly what they meant as digital didn't have that certain something.

Except all shots were taken on my small sensor pocket camera. :D

Film can look great, it can also look really crap, same goes for digital. All depends on how you shoot and process images and you can do wonderful things with LR + PS.

Don't have that icky digital look, so :thumbsup:

Yes, you are quite right. Film or digital, the results can be awful. I think the thing I like about film is that things that can go wrong in unexpected ways, but this seems to add to the final result. I think the Lightroom presets I've been messing with do the same thing. Sometimes they work in an odd but interesting way, other times they just spoil the shot.

I've not tried the DXO film pack, but it certainly looks interesting and a very comprehensive collection. I'd love to see any results other people have to show.

Here are a couple more from today at Graves park. Took the kids up to see the animals, as it was an 'inset' day at school:

Whaddya want:

8507735838_ea19a1c281_b.jpg

Kiss me quick:

8506625559_2850637ef9_b.jpg

Edited by chrisp7091

l love the whaddya want !!!

Cheers - they were just a couple of fun shots at Graves Park, but I thought the textures came through well.

Very nice, are these with VCSO?

No - I havn't come across that collection of presets before. The presets I used came from x-equals.com. I modified them a bit to get a result I was happy with. Not sure it's that accurate in terms of a Kodachrome emulation. That film always looks to me to have a sort of warm or reddish colour cast. I still enjoyed the finished look, though.