Do Job Clubs really work?

I'm interested in knowing about 'JOB CLUBS' and whether or not they live up to unemployed people's expectations.

Do Job Clubs really help to get you the job you want or do you end up having to go out and find/get the job yourself?

Do Job Club staff really go out of their way to help you get a job, or do they just say they go out of their way to help you to make their business look goodie-goodie?

I'm more of the opinion that they focus peoples mind on looking properly, rather than expecting a job to fall in their lap. I think if you treat the job search like a full time job, you are more likely to succeed.

I'm interested in knowing about 'JOB CLUBS' and whether or not they live up to unemployed people's expectations.

Do Job Clubs really help to get you the job you want or do you end up having to go out and find/get the job yourself?

Do Job Club staff really go out of their way to help you get a job, or do they just say they go out of their way to help you to make their business look goodie-goodie?

i used a job club (working links) and got funding for a training course (17th edition) out of it. i tried contacting it recently to upgrade my skills only to find everyone had been made redundant and there are very few branches left due to a lack of contracts, i was told.

The fact you say "do you end up having to go out and find a job yourself" implies the onus is on the job club to find the unemployed person a job. And therein lies the problem.

They should be there to assist, guide and motivate....but that's all they should do.

Apart from providing more jobs for the companies that run them - there's no extra work as a result of job clubs (or sanctioning benefits or anything less related). Most people who end up on the dole do so for only a short time between jobs & would have got work without any help from job clubs. These are the ones who end up as "success" stats on job club figures.

I'm not convinced job clubs provide much real help for the long term unemployed and would have though voluntary work would be far better way into work than endless workshops/training courses.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though if anyone has genuinely been helped into work by these firms