Did You Live In Shiregreen?

Hi,there to Lisaem and Tara,i used to live at 37,Hartley brook rd.,a family named Briggs lived at 39.I knew a Joan Bennett,and i think they were at 23 or 19,had a brother named Sterndale.Mind you i'm going back a few years,as we moved to 308, Bellhouse rd.just before the war ended.Other family names at that end i recall were Gerards,Bennets(different one)Hampshires,Ravenols?,Bakers,Needems,Frosts,Bowsers(peter was my mate), Williamsons,Hudsons,Coolies and Glynis Bratberry?? at the corner of Molineux rd.(my sister was born at number 37.all the best,hope to hear from anyone who knows any of the above.eightlegger.

My Nan lived at either number 5 or 6, same side as the Eddisons, would that be the odds or evens side? my memory fails me. I remember a Roland Hampshire who lived right at the end, he went with a girl named Sheila in the 70s. Also I remember going to school with an Andrew Hobbs, Leslie Flood and Jane Edwards from that road.

The Briggs family next door lived with the mother so if it was Ediths mother then her name must have been something else. Anyone know. At the other side was mrs Dearne but her daughter Marrie's married name was Webster and they also lived there.

My aunty jean's maiden name was Baker (i bet she'd remember all the names above)and i can remember the Bradberrys on the corner of Molineux Road. Mr Bradbury spent his time leaning on their gate when he wasn't in his greenhouse when i was a kid.

Hi lisaem happy new year,hope you have a good one.I knew your aunt jean,as she used to look after my brother jimmy and me(arthur) often,our sister ursula(EILEEN)was born at number 37,in 1943.Remember your gramma,raymond,beryl and bernice,like it was yesterday,Any idea what became of glynis bratbury ? or bradbury? PLEASE say hi to your aunt jean and the family,from all of us.thank you. arthur.

Writing about the basket bridge reminded me of Grange Lane station where one Summer in the early 50's our family boarded a train at this station which was only a 5 minutes walk from where we lived and travelled all the way to a small village in Suffolk by train, there were a few changes but it was a great way to travel. This was our regular Summer holiday staying with an aunt and uncle in rural Suffolk, we loved it, like stepping back in time to a much more pleasant age.

I Remeber Terry Liquorice who used to live in the station house

Andy lived at No 43, the one with the old oak tree in the garden. He had three younger sisters, Judy, Barbara, and Jill.

I lived at 39, I have a younger sister, Carol. At 37 lived Terry Edwards and his sister, Susan.

At 29 lived the Farrs. Do you you remember Linda Farr?

she was a very attractive girl and a few years older than the rest of us. She had three younger brothers, Billy, Jimmy and Patrick. They were all brought up as Jehovah's Witnesses for some reason, best known to their parents, Linda met a LDS preacher doing a sermon in Sheffield, she later went out to the USA and married him, the whole family ended up going to live in Salt Lake City, around about the mid-sixties.

Andy Sherratt would be 61 now. He joined the Royal Navy from school (following his father's wishes) and after he retired he went to work in London. He now lives at Maltby-le-Marsh, near Mablethorpe.

I've just clocked-up 60 years, so we'd perhaps all be a tad younger than you.

I remember a girl, perhaps a couple of years older than us, that lived below Sherratt's, I remember she had long black hair, back in the sixties, would that be your sister?

Her name was Judy... what a cracker

Yes jj we lived in the top police house in Beck close but moved from Shiregreen in 1963 to High storrs but still continued to go Hindehouse comp the travelling was a bind.Still have fond memories of safe and care free chidhood

Do you remember Barrie Booker

I was born on Jepson Road in 1940 and my young life was filled with happy memories of sledging down Monkton Road and having snowball fights with my father in the back garden. Can never remember it raining. We used to ride our bikes on the sandhills where the newer part of Jepson Road is now, search for "fairy rings" in the allotments bordering Concord Park, pick bluebells in Woolley Woods and sneak out of school at dinnertimes to go to the fair on Newman Road tip. During the war, a bomb dropped in the field where Hinde House School is now - I was nearly killed by the house roof collapsing in my cot. I remember the teachers, Mr. Coombs, Mr. Ludbrook and Miss Norton and the headteacher Mr. Kent at Shiregreen Junior School (1947-51). The boys used to get the cane from Mr. Kent but the girls were let off with the ruler on the hand. We used to enjoy our Spring concert with school Queen and Captain dressed up in fancy clothes. Anyone out there who went to Shiregreen school at that time. We had a fantastic girls' rounders team which used to travel around Sheffield for competitions. The old air-raid shelters in the school yard were filled with debris and we used to dare each other to run through them. Years earlier, I attended the Shiregreen nursery and can remember playing on the triangle of grass in the middle of Bracken Road (it had railings). Happy days.

jumpandjive Sorry to jump in on you, but I have just seen a name you have just mentioned a 'Barrie Booker' can you give me a bit more I may have known him ? :)

I usd to go to concord middle school when it was in its old place:D

So did I. We had a lot of rivallry with Shiregreen school which was next door. Saying that, the worst thing that happened that I can remember was a snowball fight one Winter. We couldn't see each other, just lobbed em over wall.

Hi Joan still lives in the same house but sadly Bill passed away a few years ago:(

My Great Aunty has lived on Hartley Brook Road all her life and is friends with Joan maybe you know her too Jean Ball. I have lived in shiregreen for 38 years attended Hartley Brook School and Firth park.

My aunty jean's maiden name was Baker (i bet she'd remember all the names above)and i can remember the Bradberrys on the corner of Molineux Road. Mr Bradbury spent his time leaning on their gate when he wasn't in his greenhouse when i was a kid.

Hi,lisaem i was wondering if you could p.m. me as i will be over from canada april/may for 5 weeks staying at my sisters,we would like to see your aunt jean & joan,if at all possible,hope to hear from you,kind regards clydesdale.

Hi,lisaem i was wondering if you could p.m. me as i will be over from canada april/may for 5 weeks staying at my sisters,we would like to see your aunt jean & joan,if at all possible,hope to hear from you,kind regards clydesdale.

Hi clydesdale

i'm so sorry i've only just seen this message and have now inboxed you x

Yes jj we lived in the top police house in Beck close but moved from Shiregreen in 1963 to High storrs but still continued to go Hindehouse comp the travelling was a bind.Still have fond memories of safe and care free chidhood

you would have sold to the garretys then?