Did You Live In Shiregreen?

I have lived on the estate all my life. I was brought up firstly on Shirehall Rd. There were 8 of us living in this council house - my Grandparents, parents, 2 Brothers, an Uncle & myself! We never had much money, but do you know, these were the best days of my life for being happy and living in a wonderful family atmosphere. Things were different in those days - neighbours used to look out for each other & do things like go to the shops for elderly people & generally respect each other. The word respect seems to have disappeared from the community these days, and I'm not just talking about Shiregreen and Sheffield now. Many estates have gone the same way. It's just a sign of the times.

My Parents, 2 Brothers & myself moved into a house on Ecclesfield Rd after my Grandparents died, where we lived for over 30 years. Now I live in a flat on Keppel Rd. I've seen so many changes to the area in my 54 years of life here. Top of the bad list is the litter problem. Just walk down any street on the estate & count the number of items thrown on the floor. It really is a problem here. Then there's anti-social behaviour, car crime & home theft (thieves like stealing door knockers for some reason!). I know Sheffield is no different to most other Cities in this respect, but isn't it depressingly getting worse?

Sorry for the very long post. I just wanted to give my views. I love the Shiregreen estate. Always have, always will. You never forget your roots in life, no matter where you go in the world. It's the area that made you what you are today. I've always said this - any area in the world is a good area to live - the problems begin when people move in & forget that word respect. Respect for the area, respect for the people living there & yes, even respect for themselves. For most of the worse offenders have no self-respect themselves. They wouldn't act like they do otherwise. I only hope the area improves for future generations. As I look around today, I don't see any positive signs of this happening. I can only hope it does for todays' children.

3 cheers for Shiregreen. The area I love.

Hi, i used to go to beck rd school, i was born in 1959, and lived on shiregreen all my life i live at high green now! i used to live on ecclesfield road, but most of my mated lived on shirehall road, one julie winters, ronksley road etc! good times looking back, and oh so times have changed

hi steveblade think we were your next door neighbours we lived 21 shirehall road can rember one name mick was he your brother o,neals lived next door the otherside yes very happydays

I have lived on the estate all my life. I was brought up firstly on Shirehall Rd. There were 8 of us living in this council house - my Grandparents, parents, 2 Brothers, an Uncle & myself! We never had much money, but do you know, these were the best days of my life for being happy and living in a wonderful family atmosphere. Things were different in those days - neighbours used to look out for each other & do things like go to the shops for elderly people & generally respect each other. The word respect seems to have disappeared from the community these days, and I'm not just talking about Shiregreen and Sheffield now. Many estates have gone the same way. It's just a sign of the times.

My Parents, 2 Brothers & myself moved into a house on Ecclesfield Rd after my Grandparents died, where we lived for over 30 years. Now I live in a flat on Keppel Rd. I've seen so many changes to the area in my 54 years of life here. Top of the bad list is the litter problem. Just walk down any street on the estate & count the number of items thrown on the floor. It really is a problem here. Then there's anti-social behaviour, car crime & home theft (thieves like stealing door knockers for some reason!). I know Sheffield is no different to most other Cities in this respect, but isn't it depressingly getting worse?

Sorry for the very long post. I just wanted to give my views. I love the Shiregreen estate. Always have, always will. You never forget your roots in life, no matter where you go in the world. It's the area that made you what you are today. I've always said this - any area in the world is a good area to live - the problems begin when people move in & forget that word respect. Respect for the area, respect for the people living there & yes, even respect for themselves. For most of the worse offenders have no self-respect themselves. They wouldn't act like they do otherwise. I only hope the area improves for future generations. As I look around today, I don't see any positive signs of this happening. I can only hope it does for todays' children.

3 cheers for Shiregreen. The area I love.

Are you Trevor Quail? Hi mate! I remember coming round to see you. Mick was indeed my Brother and Phil was my youngest Brother. He now lives in Deepcar, near Stocksbridge.

Joyce & Harry O'Neil still live at 17. I keep popping in to see them. I live on Keppel Road now. Tell me a bit about yourself and your family Trevor. I can't quite put a picture to your name - it was so long ago wasn't it? Thanks so much for replying.

hi again, mum and dad, peggy ted my sister christine, mum and dad both dead now am work in specail needs , if i remeber right we were always fighting and mum and your gran didnt get on , those days were the best off my childhood after we moved to norton i hated school and couldnt wait to leave , often rember those days football in the street, please give my regards to the Oneals hows mickeal the son will make an efort to come up now got loads of holidays but now were to go thanks again steven o can you rember micheal steven get in this house from the back dooor and how it changed the voice if you didnt any way hope to here from you trevor

hi'my parents now live on sicey avenue and they love it .

I remember Kathleen Askew. In fact I have a photo of her taken with my sister on Deep Lane.

I have a photo of Kathleen Askew,Carol Salkeld and a dog called Paddy :)

I remember some of the names of folks on here.

John Clapham a bit older than me but if I remember correctly you had blonde curly hair and lived in the police house.

Maid Marion ; I think Platts is your married name and that you and your sister were both attractive looking girls.

I remember fondly the days of playing football , cricket and tennis on the street outside the gates of Beck Road School.I don't recall anyone having a car until Stan Bradley went and bought himself a beautiful pale blue Ford Cortina. All of a sudden our sports games became interrupted when he saw a ball go anywhere near his car.

Yes jj we lived in the top police house in Beck close but moved from Shiregreen in 1963 to High storrs but still continued to go Hindehouse comp the travelling was a bind.Still have fond memories of safe and care free chidhood

Like many people in this thread, came across it quite by chance (link from Hendersons Relish site!!!). There are so many posts that I can add to so will drip feed them.

Was born in Fircroft Rd in '34 and lived there till I went to university in '50s.Must have been at St Christophers just before Ted Hills but remember many of the names. Especially Roy Mansfield as he was one of our group of friends who roamed Concord Park, Ecclesfield etc after morning service every Sunday, Two other members of our "gang" I can recall were Pat Harvey and Sylvia Crank. Was in the choir from age 7 till leaving and then a server. Does anyone remember Mr Webb in choir? A large fellow with a huge bass voice.It was wonderful having the choir up at the back as we young choirboys could read comics in the sermons!

Rev Atkinson was incumbent before Philip Cauwood, famous for his very long sermons. Remember the Pindars very well, also Mr Littlewood and Miss Coward - I was in the cubs only as I joined the Scouts when I went to King Teds. I remember Miss Coward doing the amateur dramatics in the hall and took part in some of the plays. Also was very active in folk dance club and continued with dancing almost to present day. Other vivid memory was of May Queen ceremonies - how quaint they appear today

Was married in St Christophers in 1957 on very cold November day

Finally I have seen many references to Bryan Woodriff. He was my best friend at Hatfield House Junior and we have exchanged letters every single year since then. He lives in Kingston on Thames but is not in good health

Yes jj we lived in the top police house in Beck close but moved from Shiregreen in 1963 to High storrs but still continued to go Hindehouse comp the travelling was a bind.Still have fond memories of safe and care free chidhood

Hi John,

I have found the old photo I will be bringing it to the reunion,I will let you know more info when I get it

Having been 'off line' for some time I've missed out on all fascinating stories that this site opens up, its constantly full of surprises. Earlier Susan Edwards & John Clapham mentioned Beck Road School and some of the teachers especially a Miss Hawks who I have painfull memories of. After one of the morning assemblies about 6 of us were told to report to Miss Hawks room where she laid into us about not closing our eyes during the saying of prayers and we all got both hands painfully caned. I must have been 8/9 years old and I remember being close to tears not from the pain but from the injustice, if I had been brave enough I would have asked her how she could have seen we didn't have our eyes closed if she was praying properly! but of course nobody challenged teachers in those days and it did toughen you up for all the unfairness you would face in later life, so I don't think of her with any malice but I sure remember it. Ted Hills