Case or stand for guitar?

warrior8

I am buying an acoustic guitar in the next couple of weeks and would like some views on where best I should put it when not in use.

At first I was looking at buying a case and putting it in there, but then thought that I would probably play it more if it was already out on a stand.

I have now done some research which says that humidity can damage the wood on an acoustic guitar, so I'm not sure what is for the best as there seems to be quite high humidity in my room as the windows always have condensation on them.

Also, what are anyone's thoughts on getting one of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001OCGGEM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

A stand is a useful thing to have - nearly all of the accidental damage I've ever done to my guitars has been the result of not using one.

As for the hand exerciser thingy? I think it's a waste of money. If you play regularly you'll get all the hand exercise you need.

Hi there,

If you do decide to get a guitar stand, we have some basic ones in at £5.99

As well as loads of hercules ones and others to order, just let us know if you want one!

As for the humidity thing, I personally don't think it will make any difference in a normal home (I have all mine on stands in the house). However, let's see what other people say, nice to have more than one view on the matter!

Always put it on a stand. You'll play more if it's easily within reach.

As for the above, don't bother. There are plenty of exercises to do to warm up and strengthen the muscles in your hands.

Hapilly gigging for many years without hard cases. A good padded soft case will do a fine enough job so long as you don't want to pack a car with an amp on top of it or fly abroad with it in the hold of a plane.

Various dings and damages have occured on my instruments but a hard case wouldn't have helped as they've occurred either on stage, in rehearsal or during practice - **** does happen. So with that in mind I'd say a good quality stand is far more important than an expensive case - you're more likely to damage it if it falls off a poor quality stand or you left it leaning somewhere.

Humidity caused a lot of problems with 2 of my acoustics and I think that was because they are satin finishes, gloss guitars seem to be less affected. I bought a dehumidifier to reduce the moisture in the air.

High humidity will not damage the guitar but the top absorbs water and swells causing the action to rise.