Help Required With Old VHS Machine

I just bought over 1000 VHS tapes for free.

My VHS player is nearly new from a thrift store. The tapes play all wonky though. What's the best head cleaning solutions locally. The audio head is worse. And it's a four picture head device. Thank's in advice :help:

Vodka is usually fairly good at this sort of thing - applied very gently with a foam q-tip

Mate said the same. When you say a 'foam Q Tip' - what do you mean? :)

---------- Post added 29-12-2012 at 00:54 ----------

Oh I know , these Japanese brands are prone to a build up of bukkakie on the heads. You need a cotton bud and some light alcohol ( not 2% ASDA own brand larger ) cleaning fluid and rub it all over the head like a playboy bunnie car wash.

Shudders :D:hihi:

Mate said the same. When you say a 'foam Q Tip' - what do you mean? :)

---------- Post added 29-12-2012 at 00:54 ----------

Shudders :D:hihi:

It's like a long reach cotton bud but it has a polyurethane foam bit on the end that doesnt leave wisps of cotton all over the thing you are cleaning.

If you dont have one, you could try very gently with the corner of a cotton towel.

I've got shed loads , not the crappy ear ones. We ordered something like 50,000 long reach wooden handles ones for work about 5 years ago and only used about 50 :confused:

OK - I just had this horrible vision of the Q Tips band turning up. The one with an old Paul Young in.

---------- Post added 29-12-2012 at 01:08 ----------

It's like a long reach cotton bud but it has a polyurethane foam bit on the end that doesnt leave wisps of cotton all over the thing you are cleaning.

If you dont have one, you could try very gently with the corner of a cotton towel.

Thank you Obbers. The 'picture heads' are very fine though. If, say for example. my 'towel' is made from gonadic materials - my heads might be wrecked :(