Laptop is running REALLY slowly and don't know why

some guy

Bought the laptop in April brand new. Model is HP Pavilion dv6-6c04ea.

Last couple of weeks has been running painfully slow and I have no idea why. I've checked the registry, cleared cache, updated everything, checked hard drive space and even checked to see if there were any viruses. The laptop is still running incredibly slow.

Typically, upon startup, the laptop takes a long time to boot. After turning it on, it remains on the 'Starting Windows' screen usually for at least a minute and then when it eventually gets to the desktop, the desktop itself takes at least 5 minutes to fully load. Also, things like playing high quality video saved on my hard drive almost never works and playing high definition games no longer works.

Any advice? I'm finding it all the more frustrating that I cannot locate the problem(s).

You many well have too many processes running in the back ground from start up, if you know which to turn off you can do so by hitting ctrl+alt+del, start task manager and you'll have a list of what's running.

An alternative if you have Ccleaner, go to tools > start up, and you can swith them off there also, there's probably lots of bloatware running too.

See what is running at start up.

Windows button> type msconfig> and go to the startup tab.

Most of it you can disable but its obvious what is needed and what isnt.. Eg your antivirus and windows explorer etc.

Also worth going into the ctrl+alt+delete select task manager and see what is using most of your processor... Anything with a high value will be the culprit for slowing it down.

Have you run a disk check just to exclude hard drive failure? If it is OK it might be worth uninstalling AVG (do it with the designated removal tool though), clean up with ccleaner and then install a lighter AV such as Microsoft Security Essentials. After that, it is just a case of trial and error, disabling the software you have installed one at a time to see if there is any improvement. Might be worth a scan with Malwarebytes to check for nasties. If it has not been reformatted in a while then maybe it is time to start.

Have you run a disk check just to exclude hard drive failure? If it is OK it might be worth uninstalling AVG (do it with the designated removal tool though), clean up with ccleaner and then install a lighter AV such as Microsoft Security Essentials. After that, it is just a case of trial and error, disabling the software you have installed one at a time to see if there is any improvement. Might be worth a scan with Malwarebytes to check for nasties. If it has not been reformatted in a while then maybe it is time to start.

I'd agree with everything apart from the reformatting bit. Reformatting is not something you should be doing apart from in the most extreme case - definitely not something to do once in a while for no reason!

Archived