History of t'Wicker

Grinder,

I remember the same thing happening to my cousin, wonder if it was the same pervert?

Cousin Rodger would be about the same age as you and often related to the advertised film,----The flesh is weak but the spirit is willing.

Perhaps this is what attracted the perverts!

Southfork

Well I definitely related to the advertised film, it was "Gone with the wind"...

I use to work at a small Haberdashery shop in the Wicker, owned by two Jewish brothers, called Caplins, busy little place, it was just one room for the supplies, I answered the phone, rang non stop with orders, that was one if my first jobs after leaving school.

Where exactly was that,pops?

Where exactly was that,pops?

Coming from town it was on the left, just a few yards from the archers, it sat back a bit,

Caplan's was on Stanley Street, near where it joins the Wicker (directories show "Isaac and Hyman Caplan, wholesale drapers, 2/6 Stanley Street"). Here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site. Looking towards the Wicker, Caplan's building is in the distance - it was "Stanley House", the building arrowed on this aerial view.

Caplan's was on Stanley Street, near where it joins the Wicker (directories show "Isaac and Hyman Caplan, wholesale drapers, 2/6 Stanley Street"). Here is a link to a photo on the picturesheffield.com site. Looking towards the Wicker, Caplan's building is in the distance - it was "Stanley House", the building arrowed on this aerial view.

Looks like my old Ford Classic parked there Hillsbro and not a parking meter in sight.

Looks like my old Ford Classic parked there Hillsbro and not a parking meter in sight.
Yep - those were the days!.:)

Thanks Hillsbro , I was thinking it was a lot closer to the archers than that, I'm surprised anyone even heard of Caplans it was such a small place.

Grinder,

Wind being the operative word!

Southfork

Grinder,

Wind being the operative word!

Southfork

I'd have said gone, but what ever turns you on JR...:roll:

Edited by grinder

Yes, thanks hillsbro. Initially I was thinking Caplan's would've been back up toward town but perhaps that would've been Sugerman's.

The premises on the corner of Stanley St and the Wicker next to Caplan's, was I think, a travel agent at one time.

Yes, thanks hillsbro. Initially I was thinking Caplan's would've been back up toward town but perhaps that would've been Sugerman's. The premises on the corner of Stanley St and the Wicker next to Caplan's, was I think, a travel agent at one time.
Sugarman's was on West Bar - maybe you were thinking of another furniture shop, Schweitzer's, which was nearer town on the same side of the Wicker. Woodcock's travel agents was nearby. Here is a scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory. Looking through the lnames of businesses brought back some memories for me, for example in 1963 I had my first passport photo (don't laugh) taken at Arculus Advertising at No 22 (they advertised in "The Star" - 3 black & white prints for 7/6). Note also the "steps & lift to Victoria Station".:)