Potential library closures in Sheffield

Thanks for the advice. I have called up several libraries in Sheffield and because they are Council buildings, they do not allow journalists, even if you are a trainee and not working for anyone, inside the building to carry out interviews with staff or users of the library. Some allow you to stand outside and I have visited Central library and stood outside and asked people for comments which was useful but obviously, as you are not allowed inside to do this, some people are busy leaving the library and do not want to talk. Thats why I have turned to this forum to try and see what library users think. Thanks anyway

A young woman, with a mic and a recorder, was interviewing inside central library recently, on these very issues.:|

It was around two weeks ago I carried out some interviews with people outside central library. I went to reception to ask for permission to do this inside but they told me that they did not let journalists do this inside the building but you could stand outside on the steps etc. According to the council's website, results from the library consultation were due mid November. I went to the Council's main office yesterday to ask but they said they were still working on it. Thanks for the comments so far, is anyone willing to private message me there comment, with their name, age and local library they use/dont use if they disagree they are important.

Libraries are vital. It is a shame they are not used as much as they could be. I often borrow books and occasionally forget and incur fines, but I have also donated books. I'd like to be able to borrow without fines as long as I lend to others, to make up for my occasional hoarding of a public book.

I think libraries should allow for people's private collections to be shared, on a book for book basis, or £value vs £value of each book. Libraries aren't investing in new books so much nowadays, and tend to fund day to day running costs (often with significant management fees). Encouraging people to invest, and rewarding them for doing so, would be a way of increasing access to books and improving the service at little cost.

My private library is of little use, sat on the shelves, idle. Would make sense to be able to share it via the public library system (and expand their title range) to those who wish to read the books I have.

Libraries are vital. It is a shame they are not used as much as they could be. I often borrow books and occasionally forget and incur fines, but I have also donated books. I'd like to be able to borrow without fines as long as I lend to others, to make up for my occasional hoarding of a public book.

I think libraries should allow for people's private collections to be shared, on a book for book basis, or £value vs £value of each book. Libraries aren't investing in new books so much nowadays, and tend to fund day to day running costs (often with significant management fees). Encouraging people to invest, and rewarding them for doing so, would be a way of increasing access to books and improving the service at little cost.

My private library is of little use, sat on the shelves, idle. Would make sense to be able to share it via the public library system (and expand their title range) to those who wish to read the books I have.

People could build book houses like we did as kids :)