Potential library closures in Sheffield

A Library consultation was carried out last month to look at the use of Sheffield Libraries. Sheffield City Council have said that they "cannot rule out closures." I am carrying out some research for a University article about the threat of library closures in Sheffield. I wondered if anyone would be able to post comment on what they feel about their local library service? If you could provide your name and age that wou be really helpful. I am a trainee journalist so the article will not be published, just used for coursework, so your name and comments would only be seen by my tutor. Any opinions whether for or against Library closures would be great. Also if you could name the local library you use that would be helpful

Thanks

(Eleanor Stephens, Journalism Student, University of Sheffield)

might I suggest you visit a library? I'm not being clever or sarcastic, I just think you'll get a 'feel' for the situation much better if you actually encounter it.

Woodhouse would be a great place for you to visit. One of the assistants/librarians there is a member of SF too, and I know you'll be made welcome

Thanks for the advice. I have called up several libraries in Sheffield and because they are Council buildings, they do not allow journalists, even if you are a trainee and not working for anyone, inside the building to carry out interviews with staff or users of the library. Some allow you to stand outside and I have visited Central library and stood outside and asked people for comments which was useful but obviously, as you are not allowed inside to do this, some people are busy leaving the library and do not want to talk. Thats why I have turned to this forum to try and see what library users think. Thanks anyway

A Library consultation was carried out last month to look at the use of Sheffield Libraries. Sheffield City Council have said that they "cannot rule out closures." I am carrying out some research for a University article about the threat of library closures in Sheffield. I wondered if anyone would be able to post comment on what they feel about their local library service? If you could provide your name and age that wou be really helpful. I am a trainee journalist so the article will not be published, just used for coursework, so your name and comments would only be seen by my tutor. Any opinions whether for or against Library closures would be great. Also if you could name the local library you use that would be helpful

Thanks

(Eleanor Stephens, Journalism Student, University of Sheffield)

You're asking people to post their views, with name, age and the library they use, on an open public form, but reassuring them their details and opinions won't be published, but be seen only by your tutor.

You might have a better response if you ask for pm's or give an email address?

Sorry Ella, I didn't mean to be critical, just pointing out that people don't usually post their details, and the effect of doing so would be similar to having them published. Students often post on here asking for responses, but usually arrange some means of responding other than in an open post. I'm sure many people will be willing to give teir views on the forum, but without personal details.

I think that Libraries should charge people who use their services. The Council does not subsidise any other form of entertainment / hobby so why should reading be free? IF my hobby was fishing, pottery, sewing or woodturning will the Council loan me the tools I need for a few weeks eg sewing machine? No, I don't think they will - so why should people be able to loan books free that are part of their hobby/interest etc?

Name - Susan

Age - 52

Location - Firth Park

PS none of the name/age/location info is true but at least you've got something to go on

I think that Libraries should charge people who use their services. The Council does not subsidise any other form of entertainment / hobby so why should reading be free? IF my hobby was fishing, pottery, sewing or woodturning will the Council loan me the tools I need for a few weeks eg sewing machine? No, I don't think they will - so why should people be able to loan books free that are part of their hobby/interest etc?

Name - Susan

Age - 52

Location - Firth Park

PS none of the name/age/location info is true but at least you've got something to go on

I think you will find that many leisure facilities such as playing fields,allotments etc. are subsidised and parks are free to the user where one can fly kites.Were you to support libraries and read more you might realise this-libraries are excellent if you wish to combat ignorance.