Craft business?

elf

I get so many people coming into Jam Jar Beads asking the same questions. Lots of people want to sell jewellery and make their living that way.

It is hard work and there are hundreds of other people trying to do exactly the same thing.

Definitely agree with everyone on here - you need to put the time and effort into it and it is not, contrary to what many people think, less work than "a proper job". And take the time to get to know your market and perfect product.

Remember that other companies have teams to do their manufacturing, another to do the marketing, another for selling. In many handmade businesses, you are everything so there is so much more to deal with than just crafting.

Remember that other companies have teams to do their manufacturing, another to do the marketing, another for selling. In many handmade businesses, you are everything so there is so much more to deal with than just crafting.

I second that, I make handmade stationery along with maintaining and updating the website, stock control, accounts, emails, etc.

I'm currently not selling any stationery as I am looking after my nearly 9 month old son. But I'm considering selling printed designs opposed to handmade when I return to work as it will be less time consuming on my part.

If you do manage to make a successful business out of selling your crafts then that's when you need to start thinking about ways of expanding. It comes to a point when you can't do everything yourself.

If you do manage to make a successful business out of selling your crafts then that's when you need to start thinking about ways of expanding. It comes to a point when you can't do everything yourself.

so true, but then you have to consider what is the part that you enjoy most...running the business or actually making your goodies yourself?

i try to farm out as much technical stuff (artwork/photos/online...and accounts/tax return!) as possible...i dont have the time to learn the skills necessary to do these things properly (ie. effectively and efficiently!) let alone to manage them in the long run!

x

I'm not sure I'd farm out the website work - I actually enjoy that and I think I do a pretty good job of it. However, I would consider photos - however, I don't think I do a bad job of that either. And possibly an accountant in the future.

But yes you have to decide what you enjoy and also what skills you have. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. I think part of running your own business is realising your own as well as others.

I'm not sure I'd farm out the website work - I actually enjoy that and I think I do a pretty good job of it.

lol, as a graphic artist id hope you would on both counts! ;)

for me, as a person who sews...the computer side of things is the bain of my life which takes me away from the fun and experimental making side of things.

x

The website side of things is more than doing the design. Having actually managed the site I've learn't a lot about SEO and other things along the way.

I'm one of those strange creatures that likes being creative and doing techy things. The two don't often meet in my experience.

• 1 month later...

Really interesting read. I've just set up my own online business selling bespoke handmade bags and other accessories and would love to be able to give up my full time work to concentrate solely on this. I'm looking to do my first ever craft or wedding fair this year - any tips on which would be a good one to register for. Big Thanks :) x

http://www.amyelizabethbespoke.co.uk - handmade bags + accessories

Really interesting read. I've just set up my own online business selling bespoke handmade bags and other accessories and would love to be able to give up my full time work to concentrate solely on this. I'm looking to do my first ever craft or wedding fair this year - any tips on which would be a good one to register for. Big Thanks :) x

http://www.amyelizabethbespoke.co.uk - handmade bags + accessories

I would suggest a table cloth that is large enough to cover the table and three sides almost to the ground. This looks very neat and is a handy way to cover up boxes and all the other general bits you have hidden under the table. Label and price things clearly as alot of people don't like to ask. Make sure you have plenty of change, its amazing how it can disappear sometimes.

Hope this helps.