Woodseats Area Panel meeting last night re Traffic

hi, did anyone else go to this last night? There was a lot of valid concerns over the new traffic 'management' scheme esp. Abbey Lane/Meadowhead junction.

Didn't know it was on, so sorry I missed it. Can guess the level of concern expressed on the new traffic 'management' scheme. I know it's still early days but hard to see where it's improved things. I would also be interested in what was said and more importantly what. if any, changes will be made.

Hi ange14

What is the 'Woodseats Area Panel'? How does one find out about it/get invited to it?

Thanks for any answers,

Maggi

The main outcome from this meeting was people aren't happy so there is going to be some sort of big meeting just for this issue, perhaps at St Thomas' Church as they are not happy either.

The Area Panel meeting is Sheffield City Council coming out to the areas so people can hear what's going on and ask questions to councillors and officers (that's my version of it). It was my first time there so not an expert, I only went to check that I am thinking what others are thinking about the traffic problems. The council's website has details under your area then area action if you want to know more.

Shall I'll post something on here when I find out?

Will follow up via City Council but any local news/info. on this one would be worth hearing about if you can post.

Thanks for what you've given so far.

I know it's good to talk, but the last thing road users in the Chesterfield Road/Abbey Lane area of Woodseats need is more time-consuming discussion and inevitable delays.

What's needed is a bit of action from the powers that be!

For me, it's pull-your-finger-out time. Get-a-move-on time.

Time for talking is over, let's get this terrible road/junction sorted out.

The cones have been there so ages, so it seems, and the new lights for the bus lane remain stubbornly covered. Will they ever be switched on? Will the bus lane ever be used as it was originally intended?

Inertia has set in big time, and I can only assume that somebody in authority has made a big ****-up. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

I'm not bothered who it is. It's not important. What is important is to get the road sorted. And soon.

It's not that I'm against meetings and keeping people informed etc, it's just that the situation regarding Woodseats appears to have drifted and drifted.

It's time those in charge of our roads sorted this mess out instead of sitting on their hands.

What amazes me about the Woodseats situation is that when these road works started, the council lined up the regular council quotes of 'We believe it will improve traffic....' and 'We think it will make things better....'. They never actually commit to saying anything definate, despite the fact that what they were trying to do was obviously flawed, and they were told so by members of the public using Woodseats.

And when they mess it all up, like they have done, will they come out and say 'We were wrong' and make someone responsible for it. Not a chance.

Sheffield council - full of morons, ditherers and cowards.

I can see where you're coming from CraigS18, but I think the time has come and gone to play the blame-game.

I'm not sure that name-calling will help move this matter on, either.

What's needed is for those in authority to grasp the nettle and sort the problem out. Put it right. ASAP.

Originally posted by ange14

hi, did anyone else go to this last night? There was a lot of valid concerns over the new traffic 'management' scheme esp. Abbey Lane/Meadowhead junction.

I did not know about the meeting but had I been I'd have told them the lights are a pain in the backside. I found myself waiting at the bottom of Abbey Lane to get on Chesterfied Road 'just because' !

Had there not been any lights I'd have been gone before traffic on the main road got stop by their own red light.

A mini traffic jam occured at half 10 at night for no other reason than a man made pile of cow dung !

Originally posted by dishwasher

The cones have been there so ages, so it seems, and the new lights for the bus lane remain stubbornly covered. Will they ever be switched on? Will the bus lane ever be used as it was originally intended?

NO NO NO and NO, NEVEr switch them b#####ds on ! It's bad as it is not to make is worst by stopping traffic on a straight portion of road !

How come houses in S8 did not receive invitations ? I want to come but wouldn't know the first thing about how to know when such a meeting occurs. :(

All I say is the mother of traffic schemes is not having one !

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

I did not know about the meeting but had I been I'd have told them the lights are a pain in the backside. I found myself waiting at the bottom of Abbey Lane to get on Chesterfied Road 'just because' !

Had there not been any lights I'd have been gone before traffic on the main road got stop by their own red light.

A mini traffic jam occured at half 10 at night for no other reason than a man made pile of cow dung !NO NO NO and NO, NEVEr switch them b#####ds on ! It's bad as it is not to make is worst by stopping traffic on a straight portion of road !

How come houses in S8 did not receive invitations ? I want to come but wouldn't know the first thing about how to know when such a meeting occurs. :(

All I say is the mother of traffic schemes is not having one !

Captain Scarlet, you most probably (like me) do not live in the South Area Panel catchment. You will be, I'm guessing, part of Park Heeley Area Panel. However, you can ask to be put on the mailing list of both, and it is worthwhile, as you, like me, are probably right on the cusp of both, and issues from one area will not be discussed at the other - as graphically demonstrated at the last Park Heeley Area Panel when it was abundantly clear that many residents in Park Heeley Area are directly affected by traffic problems in South Area (Woodseats, etc).

All of you, Area Panel meetings are valuable tools to have your say in local issues. I started going due to work, but find it immensely useful for issues where I live, as well. Councillors and Council reps attend, you both learn what is happening/planned in your area and have the opportunity to have your say in these matters. Go along, give it a go, enjoy.

To be asked to be kept informed of future meetings

email:

South Area: [email protected]

Park/Heeley: [email protected]

Originally posted by dishwasher

To me it looks like the downhill lane for traffic other than buses is way too narrow. Next time you go past consider how two HGVs might get through at the same time.

And the b******s about "sequencing the traffic lights" to improve traffic flow - how the hell can you sequence them in both directions?

Theres basically too many crossings, too many junctions, too many traffic lights etc in a short distance.

Why didn't they make use of the road width to put right turn lanes, so that someone wanting to turn right up helmton (for example) doesn't bring the whole lane to a standstill.

Editted to say: On the plus side, I do believe that its made the Chesterfield Road/Abbey Lane junction safer. A greater contribution to road saftey than the speed camera ever was.